DIY Build log: MIDI Controller School Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default DIY Build log: MIDI Controller School Project

Hey guys,

Back after some time to start my build log of my controller I'm working on for school.

This is what I've gotten so far from Little Bird Electronics here in Australia (larger images at Flickr):

Arduino Eleven (Freetronics clone)

4x4 button grid and associated contact PCB

I still need to order the arcade button for the shift key, some analog multiplexers and shift-registers (I think?), as well as a MIDI to USB converter.

As for the building side of things, I've so far:

Made the wooden case, however I still need to finish it with lacquer or varnish or something.

Jigsawed holes into acrylic faceplate (the acrylic is clear matte, like this)

That's about it for now. I still need to figure out whether I will go down the MIDI to USB converter route, as seen here, or whether I will put a big, ghetto ass MIDI Out port on the back. Also, if anybody could lend me some advice regarding which multiplexers and such to use, it would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, what colour should I make the LEDs in the buttons?

Thanks very much for reading!
    Last edited by coolmatic; 05-03-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Banned

Oh tits, those pictures worked perfectly in the preview.
    Last edited by coolmatic; 05-03-2011 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Fixed pictures

Tech Wizard

That looks great! but what kind of heavenly school requires you to build a midi-controller for a project? i wish i was taking that A-Level! Great work!

I wish I'd discovered digital DJing and this site much, much earlier. Doing this for a school project would have been so much more productive than some of the useless shit I ended up making.

That said, when I was 15/16 and making the course choices that would have let me do this, DJTT was still a good few years from being born and no one had ever even uttered the word midifighter!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Banned

I'm doing a systems engineering class. Most of my classmates are doing remote control cars and that sort of thing. I was all "fuck that, MIDI controller."
    Got a whole year to do it which is nice.

Can u let me kno how the Arduino Eleven (Freetronics clone) goes because I have been looking at them at jaycar (an Australian electronics store) and they look good but I have no experience with programming these things or anything because I am still in school and havent had the opportunity or money to learn.

for your usb to midi converter i suggest this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-midi-cable-730

ive never used it but i think it does what you need

God, this thread makes me feel really old.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy View Post
    Can u let me kno how the Arduino Eleven (Freetronics clone) goes because I have been looking at them at jaycar (an Australian electronics store) and they look good but I have no experience with programming these things or anything because I am still in school and havent had the opportunity or money to learn.
    I am in rather the same boat as you dude. Just learning as I go.
    I'll be sure to tell you how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by salomon102 View Post
    for your usb to midi converter i suggest this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-midi-cable-730

ive never used it but i think it does what you need
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of very similar converters around the place. Lots of power sellers going really cheap with them (~$2). I suppose I just have to suss out the good from the bad. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    God, this thread makes me feel really old.
    Sorry.

May I ask how u are going to use the MIDI to usb thing cause I don't see any MIDI ports, the main board only has a mini usb on it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast