Apple's "Time Machine"
    Tech Mentor

Default Apple's "Time Machine"

Here's the story.....

At the weekend my MacBook pro fell off a bed on to a hard laminate floor. This resulted in a lappy that refused to start up. I checked it on another apple lappy (starting up my MBP in "target" mode), & the other machine couldn't see the drive over firewire either.

Luckily, I regularly back up to an external drive using Time Machine. So I popped down to my local apple reseller, brought a new drive, & restored from my time machine backup.

Total time to install the new HD & pull everything back from my time machine backup. ....about 4 hours!!

What impressed me the most is that you don't even have to re-install OS X on the new drive first. Just make sure it's formatted using disk utility on the OSX install DVD, then select the time machine app from the utilities menu & follow the instructions.

So if you're an apple user & you don't use time machine (or Carbon copy cloner or something similar), then now is the time to start. ....you'll be glad you did if you ever need it.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Preaching to the choir brother.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

agreed. My dad had his macbook nicked from a hotel room a couple of years ago but he had a time machine backup at home, bought a new one with the insurance money and when he'd restored it it was like using the same computer (except the new one was a different colour

I used mine to switch over to my SSD and again, it worked flawlessly.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

^^^ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Just don't rely on time machine to backup your iphoto library. Time machine is great but when it fails it does so spectacularly.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan