First Proper Gig in Awhile...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Proper Gig in Awhile...

Hey guys-I've got my first proper gig (non-tailgate/houseparty/wedding afterparty) in awhile coming up this Friday (WOOT!). I'll be opening up for a couple of other DJ's at a lounge here in New Jersey.

I plan on bringing my S4, but I still haven't been able to get confirmation that I will have room in the booth. Still working on that. The headliner who got me the gig said i could just use his stuff-2 techs, A&H mixer + laptop-i assume that means SSL-but i dont have any experience w/ DVS in general, although i do have the 1 deck SSL on my MBP. I will try to confirm the equipment situation, and plan on bringing some CDs as a backup.

as to music, he suggested some light house/hip hop. I am planning on spinning some filtered house, w/ some light mashups to get the hip hop in, keeping in mind that Im opening.

guys/gals, if anyone has any suggestions, advice or words of encouragement relating to the above, I would be glad to hear it. Other than that, I just wanted to let you all know the good news!

Nice one bruv!

Preparation....

If you have not gigged in a while...it could be stressful....if you prepared...you good!

Give yourself a few transitions to get into the flow...then KILL IT!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Where in Jersey?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thx Sarasin!

Dvls-its a place called Zebra Lounge in Boundbrook. ill post in in the chatroom if you think you might be in the area.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Boundbrook? I'm up in Jersey City... it's a big maybe. I'd have to fly solo regardless as my girlfriend would probably end up hurting someone.

But yeah, as far as notes for your gig... make sure you have all the connectors you may need, a powerstrip and a grounded extension cord, your own cables and a backup in case everything goes to shit.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Congrats man! Super happy for you!

What DvlsAdvct said! Make sure you have 2x all of the extra cables. As for the actual setup itself, if you aren't comfortable with the 12's and Serato i'd just bring my S4 and put it on top of one of the 12s (with the 12s case on it). It may be slightly wobbly but if you can adjust yourself slightly you'll be able to use your S4 instead. That's what i've been doing anyway.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    put it on top of one of the 12s (with the 12s case on it). It may be slightly wobbly but if you can adjust yourself slightly
    id bring a foam pad just in case their case is broken or they dont have one.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Thanks guys! Good advice. I stopped by the place last night just to check out the layout, and the DJ workspace is basically a table with a zebra blanket over it (don't ask). As a back up, I think Ill bring a small folding table.

Crates...or large bricks with a door on top!

Works in a pinch!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Thanks again guys-Friday night kicked ass. My setup worked out fine-i just set my case on top of one of the other dj's flight case. The sound system wasn't all that great, but we made due. Plus, I was able to play pretty much whatever I wanted. I did learn that I need one more item for my gig bag though: a flashlight. All in all, great time. Thanks again for all the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast