The future ?

Thread: The future ?

Default The future ?

Hello everybody, check this out, I didn't know where to put it so I just started a new thread...

This is of course linked to the multitouch issue, whether it will or will not take over the world of Djing an turntablism...

http://www.vimeo.com/961877
    Last edited by EanGolden; 05-23-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Great topic, Multi touch VS control surface

physical knobs VS virtual- what is the future?

Its hard to tell as no one has really been able to try a lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Numsky View Post
    Hello everybody, check this out, I didn't know where to put it so I just started a new thread... [/url]
    It's a great demo, visually interesting, you can "get" exactly what he's doing just by watching. The perfect demo to sell the idea to hardware execs!

Shame he's doing nothing more than emulating CDJs, - scratching, re-cueing, reversing, pitching and, well, that's about it. No FX, no juggling cue points, no layering multiple sources, no beat mashing. Not the future, not even up to the level of Ableton Live today, just a recasting of past interfaces.

I am highly suspicious of touch interfaces being sold as good for something that a good set of buttons, sliders, LEDs and rotary encoders can do better, cheaper and with more tactile feedback. I want to be proven wrong, I really do, the lights are so pretty...
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 05-23-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Tech Mentor

it wasnt about new techniques, it was about new control service.

Wow... Nice controllers... How much is that one in the window?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

with all things virtual, including these demo videos, it seems that latency would be the killer. its a nice demo but the interface would have to react alot faster to be trully useable. also theres alot to be said about having solid buttons, faders, and switches. i think as humans we are very tactile, and i for one love button mashing and knob twiddling.

Tech Guru

Haptic interaction (ie the sensation of touch) is a major part of any control surface. 'Digital' knobs/faders etc will never be able to replicate the tactile control of a real interface, and as such is limited. Which is why vinyl is still one of best methods for manipulating sound data... The only limitation is little visual info... like those on CDJs.. which isnt even that much. Imagine a Turntable but the deck was actually a screen which would show you your soundwaves etc and how the TT was effecting them.

Good haptic interfaces will always be vital. As awesome of the lemur is I think this is one of its major flaws, in terms of haptic interaction... its shit. Imagine if it had mechanics below a flexable screen so that if there was a knob of a fader there you could actually FEEL it. Now that would be cool.

Examples of interfacing devices that are far more haptic yet digital are the reactable, or those cube things. I think now there will be (or should be) a real push towards creating haptic/digital MIDI interfaces as for DJing (IMO) the sense of touch is nearly as important as visualisation.

My major at uni was digital haptic interaction and interfaces in a dance club environment -_- although it wasnt so much focused on the DJ as it was the patrons.

I agree about the whole touch issue, thats going have to be delt with.
    I think for the short-term future a mixture of both devices is the best bet- not relying on a touchscreen for live interaction, rather for things like Ableton clip control where haptic feedback and perfect timing are not necessary.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 05-24-2008 at 04:36 AM.

Well, yeah, it seems now, that we are engaged in battle with
    the arcade-controlerism-buttons and triggers, against fully digital and touchscreen solutions. It seems to me that the touchscreen solutions are mainly promoted by big companies, (even though the video I posted is a homemade prototype).

I think we all agree on the fact that a screen, no matter technology it carries and what visual info it gives you will never replace knobs and faders and the vinyl touch, especially for scatchers. and that the lag will kill it
    Just a silly comment but, if your gear is almost only touchscreen how would you feelon it after a couple hours of playing when it got all sweaty and dirty??

Right now, having hands-on feeling (controller-turntables...) with a visual back-up looks like the good solution, but again it depends on what you want to do, it relates with the sync issue..

I was amazed by how fast people reacted to my post, and it feels really good, to have emulation in that domain, so thank you guys

By "perfect timing" i am not referring to latency though that is a issue with certain touchscreen devices but not with others. What i mean is that it is easier to repetitively hit for example an arcade button that provides a nice level of haptic feedback than it is to hit a touchscreen with own unsuitable haptic feedback.

Its easy to judge though, and i can personally say i have had no experience of a touchscreen in a live situation and i am keen leave my preconceptions aside and test it for myself some day.

I personally cant wait for this bad boy to be released - http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/

Probably completely useless as a keyboard for the same haptic feedback reasons, but it would be very useful for a lot of other things that do not require haptic feedback and for doing stuff like drawing an EQ curve