CDJ timecode response and platter/cue issues?
    Tech Guru

Default CDJ timecode response and platter/cue issues?

Generally I get good timecode response when using CDJ's (pioneer 1000's mk3), but there's one thing that traktor really doesn't like and that's performing a spin back (pulling the platter backwards quickly). I always seem to get a big delay when when doing it. If I do it once and it has the delay and then do it again immediately after it does it fine. It's almost as tho I have to do it the first time for traktor to kinda catch up with what Im doin before I can do it again, like it needs a kick up the ass to wake up kinda thing.

Anyone get this issue and anyone know how to sort it?

Next thing is the cueing up on the CDJ. Say I get the first beat of a tune on a cue point then tap the cue button on the CDJ to drum out a rythym the cue point moves slightly so Im not catching the hit of the kick drum. Its more in the middle of the hit of the drum. Bit annoying.

Anyone got any clues as to how to fix this?

My latency is set to 2.5ms.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ive used CD timecode on both VDJ and Traktor 2.

Both have had this problem.

accurate cueing has always been an issue with the entire of use of timecodes. I just use an X1 for cueing functions now alongside timecode.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 00DJC View Post
    Ive used CD timecode on both VDJ and Traktor 2.

Both have had this problem.

accurate cueing has always been an issue with the entire of use of timecodes. I just use an X1 for cueing functions now alongside timecode.
    Cool man, thought as much. what about the spin back thing? same deal?

Not sure,

VDJ used to stutter and delay but Traktor seems to be ok (unless its a really violent spin back).

I think the spin back problem might be a caching issue. I.e. the first time you perform a spin back the computer caches the effect to memory for faster recall, then all future spinbacks are faster. However the cache is cleared by future memory requirements as you continue to use the program or when the program is shut down. so try a spin back when you first load traktor to "prepare" the software, and then see if later on you get a better response.

Just a hunch - worth a shot.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Tech Guru

cool man, that kinda somes it up. to be honest I did what you said about doing it a first time but say if I leave it for a while without doing it it will do it again. I imagine a certain amount of time must go by and then the cache is cleared.

Anyway, thanks for the help

Hey man.

1) what version of Traktor are you running?
    2) your latency is very low, most people don't notice latency until it gets to 10ms or so - try raising it?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

never had the spin back problem, but the cue thing is common. it alloyed me so much I had to start using the midi function on my denon S1200s

Tech Mentor

I have found the same issue when cueing up, which is why I have never enjoyed using CDJ's all that much, no matter how hard I try I can never seem to get them to cue up at the right point. even if I have a load in marker on the first beat and hit cue, it still skips a little forwards.

I have never, however, had the spin back problem. Maybe try a few different settings on your CDJ and make sure the needle mode on traktor is set to vinyl (however, I am not sure if this will make any difference).

Good luck, hope you can fix it.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Hey man.

1) what version of Traktor are you running?
    2) your latency is very low, most people don't notice latency until it gets to 10ms or so - try raising it?
    Running the latest version of 1. I had it on 4 and it was still doing it. I'll try raising more to see what happens. What would you say is the best setting if I still wanna scratch (thats the only reason I keep it low) without noticing latency issues.