Help: 80's pop and new wave 12"'s (on mp3)
    Tech Wizard

Default Help: 80's pop and new wave 12"'s (on mp3)

HI,

As an 80's child, I am in love with those old 12" that I used to hear at clubs. Does anyone have a clue where can I find 80's stuff on mp3? Im looking for both pop and new wave stuff...

Many thanks!
    MacBook Pro late 2009 3.06ghz, 4GB RAM, 500gb HD @ 7200 RPM, Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 6, VCI 100, Audio 8 DJ

Your best bet is finding comps on Amazon or something. (Rhino has TONS of them). There are a ton of compilations that just put out 12" versions of those old tracks.

Also try and find razormaid compilations. The razormaid mixes were what you probably heard the most of in the club. (For the discerning DJ who didn't like the original 12" mix)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

any leads for these comps? As for Razormaid, I totally forgot about them...
    MacBook Pro late 2009 3.06ghz, 4GB RAM, 500gb HD @ 7200 RPM, Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 6, VCI 100, Audio 8 DJ

Google razormaid rapidshare and you'll find a collection or two of them. I have around 50 of them on mp3
    www.myspace.com/psycatron
    -Psycatron "Location Unknown Ep" out now on Beatport

I think he was referring to LEGAL resources....
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Tech Wizard

Thx guys! Yes, legal is better but now, with an almost 35% peso devaluation vs dollar and out of a job, things are a little hard...

Tech Wizard

Retro:Active - Rare & Remixed on Hi Bias out of Canada has a great series.... and surprisingly ... Ultra Records in the US had a decent 3 Disk 80's compilation full of dope tracks too. On discogs. add these comps into your wantlist and then when sellers post them, you'll get an email notifying you. You decide if you think the price/shipping is worth it or not.

Also, if you are a Sirius radio subscriber (get a net only account) and check out First Wave. It has many of the old school KROQ dj's from L.A. as on air hosts and they will often trigger some of the obscure tracks to jog your memory, that were still hits if you like to be a bit more challenging 80's New Wave Jock.
    benny blanco®
    blancodisco.com

Setup: VCI-100 SE 1.4, MidiFighter, Audio 8, Audio 2, Griffin PowerMate, WD Passport 500GB, MacBookPro 8GB RAM, Uberstand, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Trainspotter, iPhone 4, TouchOSC & Noel's 4D Templates

Tech Guru

Razormaid actually still sells their compilations.
    http://www.razormaid.com/index2.htm

Also look at Hot Tracks - also still in business.
    http://www.selectmix.com/store/

If you're looking for stuff like Human League, Heaven17, etc, then go the Rhino route outlined above - you can find that shit anywhere. If you're looking for more interesting 80s stuff like Cetu Javu, Secession, Section 25, etc, then mix services are probably your best bet.

Yeah, Razormaid! has been doing some interesting stuff lately. Every now and then I've had them make custom tracks for me. Their prices are ridiculously reasonable. HIGHLY recommended.

Thanks for the good eye nemonic!
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!