4/4 tracks w/ an extra measure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4/4 tracks w/ an extra measure

I'm finding more and more tracks to be a bit irksome in a place or two. Standard 4/4 time signature, but at the top of a buildup (or worse... just kinda stuck in there towards the end) they'll throw in a wonky little measure or something. Presumably, for a effect, but this can crush a mix. I've got the hankering to just use a DAW and get them to my liking, but that seems a little asshole-ish. For those that do long mixes, how do you deal w/ these? I know Traktor has the "Move" feature which I'm not so good at.

I havent noticed this in any tracks Ive got,but if theres a track that I like that doesnt quite work for me I'll chop it up and change it or totally re-edit it to suit me.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    that seems a little asshole-ish.
    I wouldnt worry about that,Most likely you wount be playing the artists track anyway without changing it(cue point juggling,effects etc)

You could always save a cue point at the start of the new measure and skip it in traktor
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrakd View Post
    You could always save a cue point at the start of the new measure and skip it in traktor
    True, but I'm usually dicking around figuring out what I'm going to play next... too often to have to rely on skipping something anyway.

happens all the time with psytrance ..
    eg. big build up, you're ready to go 1,2,3,4, boom! right ... then they slip in a 3 or 5 bar gap lol. usually wasted by that stage too so the mixing can go downhill later in the night
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Haven't noticed that myself but I can imagine it would be annoying. Buildup buildup buildup buildup buildup.......................dro...no.....drop.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Cue points and beat grids are the only way to solve this for now. I posted a long time ago to traktors feature requests page that I want an option to add an automatic jump to any track so that you can skip over parts of the track you want to without having to remember to do it manually each time. Functionally the same as "fixing" the track in Ableton I suppose but it's better because it's nondestructive - you can have the option of making it active or not like you do a loop, so you can play the whole track when you feel like it or skip over the annoying bits instead.

Or just don't mix over those parts. I like long mixes but it sorta defeats the point if you wind up train wrecking it.... Mix out, let the breakdown happen, and have a new gridmarker ready after the breakdown so you can mix back in easily.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I just put a cue there to remind me of it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Photojojo's is the least intrusive... still gotta "skip" it though.

"fixing" the track in Ableton I suppose but it's better because it's nondestructive -
    I store everything on a RAID device, and then copy it to my Macbook. If I edit, I edit the original, and save it as "whatever_edit.wav" so I've got two. Also, good if you're ever playing CD's out.

Anyhoo, glad to see I wasn't going crazy.

Banned

Depends where it is in the track to be honest. I like to do long mixes but I've rarely seen this happen less than 3minutes to go on a track. So while it might mess up my loops, which I have a fix for, it never messes up my mixes.

Tech Mentor

Mark it with a cue then drop a new grid marker when it goes back to normal.

I've added my +1 to the exclusion cue thread on the NI forums for this very reason.

Another option would be to beat jump but I'd much rather I could automate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast