macbook pro 2007 late model
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default macbook pro 2007 late model

Sorry for the known question, but i need some advise.

Got an offer from a colleague to buy his macbook pro 2007 late model 15.4
    2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram and 160 gb.

Hardly used only to browse and watch movies, he got it as a present previous work, but uses more window based programs.

He is asking 550 dollars, is this a fair price.
    Can't find any other second hand ones on ebay etc.

Wanna upgrade the harddisk and the ram, any sugesstions

I'm only gonna use it with traktor s4, ableton and maybe some other music software.

I can buy the latest 15.4 2011 model but rather invest the spare money in a traktor machine and an akai apc 40

thanks
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

You don't even need to upgrade the ram on that, just upgrade the hard drive so that it's more than 160gbs. That isn't a bad deal at all, especially if the mac hasn't been used much except for what you specified. That's just my opinion though, i'd go talk to JesC to verify what i've said. He's my personal mac genius!

I would still whack in 4GB as soon as you can. It makes a big difference to day to day performance.

Offer $450 and start from there.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

Nice offer, indeed upgrade hardrive and RAM optionally. Nice with the mac is that it is probably still fast because the the OS is specially maded for the hardware.

Hard drive will be ok unless you want to use .wav files where space is a must and as long as you're organised and de-clutter regularly. Mac hard drives are expensive! I have 80gb in my laptop, but use a 500gb external drive filled with .wav files.

With regard to RAM, it's not that expensive to upgrade so I'd offer a bit below his asking price stating that 2gb ain;t much nowadays so you'd need to upgrade RAM and therefore, you're only offering lower to offset that cost.

That's the way I'd go. Then get yourself an external firewire drive rather than an internal hard drive upgrade.

$450 for Mac
    $35 for 2gb Mac RAM (or about $60 for 4gb (2 x 2gb) if you look around and want to upgrade both modules)
    $75 for new external firewire hard drive for Mac (based on Seagate and Iomega prices on eBay)

Total is the $560 and you'd have the Mac with 4gb RAM and an external firewire drive with 500gb capacity. That's the way I'd try and wing the deal.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    Sorry for the known question, but i need some advise.

Got an offer from a colleague to buy his macbook pro 2007 late model 15.4
    2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram and 160 gb.

Hardly used only to browse and watch movies, he got it as a present previous work, but uses more window based programs.

He is asking 550 dollars, is this a fair price.
    Can't find any other second hand ones on ebay etc.

Wanna upgrade the harddisk and the ram, any sugesstions

I'm only gonna use it with traktor s4, ableton and maybe some other music software.

I can buy the latest 15.4 2011 model but rather invest the spare money in a traktor machine and an akai apc 40

thanks
    That is an awesome deal. I have the same model boought in 08. Its has never giving me a single problem. Just recently the battery isn't holding a charge that well any more, so make sure you check and ask about the battery as those are expensive and probably will need to be replaced since its a 4 year old battery, I think those run about 150, I may be wrong.

I broke my screen on my 08 15 MBP, I was gonna replace it but i figure fuck it its time for an upgrade to a 13 MPB I truley do miss the 15 in screen.

Performance wise my old 15 2.4 core 2 duo was more than enough to run traktor, photoshop, dreamweaver, reasons (Not at the same time of course) with out a problem.

With an upgrade in memory and HD my old MBP would be up to par with my new one.

550 is an awesome deal, just check the HD and battery. My cousin offered to buy my broken one for 600, I just can't sell it, I'll fix it soon enough.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Good deal and imo a harddrive upgrade isn't really needed.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Good deal and imo a harddrive upgrade isn't really needed.
    i would atleast stick a 500gb hd bing that he's going to stick 4gb ram, might as well add a hd if he's going to unscrew anything on the mac.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    i would atleast stick a 500gb hd bing that he's going to stick 4gb ram, might as well add a hd if he's going to unscrew anything on the mac.

Yep, phoned him and will get the macbook on wednesday, gonna pay full asking price because first he mentioned 700 dollars, and already got 150 off.

kontrol a dj techtool member is gonna do the upgrade for me, so extra ram and bigger harddrive.

Think 5400 rpm because i heard the 7200 can get hot, if someone know a 7200 will be no problem let me know.

Have thought about putting a 80 gb ssd in but don't know if it's worth it, and work with an optibay with bigger drive or firewire external harddrive. I need the space use a lot of different music styles with dj'ing and my therapeutic dance center.

Well anyhow thanks for all the positive responses.

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

the story continues,

the guy came up with the macbook, all day i'm hyped about it, and then i look and see that it's a 13 inch. He tought it was a 15.4 and he new it was 160 gb so when i checked models on the internet, the only model was the 2007 2.4.

well it's an unibody late model 13 inch 2008 2ghz core to dual.

So i postponed the buy, and looked on the internet, on the forums i saw that it should work with traktor pro 2. so i have decided to give it a go. I've got 200 dollars extra off and got it for 350. Which i think is a very reasonable deal.

i've put a 500gb hybrid seagate harddrive in it and 4 extra ghz ram so total of 5.

At the moment i'm transferring all music, so i will see how it runs tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast