Using the Beatport Top 10?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using the Beatport Top 10?

I want to know what everyones opinions are on using the beatport top 10? I always kind of feel like i'm moving a little commercial(i pride myself in having tunes nobody's ever heard before and bringing new songs to peoples attention) when i read the progressive or minimal charts, and yet i still always buy something which strikes me as an absolutely stonking track.

Its a love hate relationship for me, because I love the tunes and know they're that popular for a reason, but I dont like the idea that half the worlds minimal DJ's are going to be playing the same track I am...
    Last edited by PeteWoods; 05-09-2011 at 04:13 PM.

if you love a track then buy it simple as that.

Don't matter if its number 1 in the charts or only 2 people in the world have heard it.

If its a good song and you enjoy then play it.

Tech Guru

your gut is telling you that only grabbin charted tracks is a cop out - otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread.

trust your gut, don't worry about what any of us think.

Well, often these tracks are real bangers, bringing more energy to the dancefloor as people know them and often like them, I use mostly the popular stuff (due to being limited with the crowds you get [the whole area has about 40000 people in two bigger [10000+] and lots of smaller cities], that meaning you can't even find enough DnB or any more "special" genre for a party) just cause the people like to dance to them and they bring a lot of energy to the floor, still I like to mix in tracks of other unknown artists, just bring some special stuff into my set..

Likely the above text does not make sense due to me being effin tired..

I used to be all about playing unknown stuff and really enjoyed it, but IME (both in the booth and on the dancefloor) I've found that people get a lot of energy just from hearing tracks that they know. When I go to see big name DJs I always love it when they drop their token banger tracks, and there's a special feeling when everyone in the room has that same familiarity. I agree that its more fun to play a unique set of tracks, but the crowd may not feel the same way.

I find about 1% of my tracks from any type of list or chart. I just go to my genre of choice, click "View All" (track mode, not release) queue them up and let them play. It takes some time but it's worth it. I've found some gems in there that I'd otherwise not know about.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Nothing wrong with charts if used responsibly. It's a good feeling to buy a song that's not on the charts and a week or two later it is.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

charts are a good start. dont take beatport's word for it though
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Sift through the new releases. That's what I always do, and sure as Saturday comes after Friday, I find at least 2 of the tracks I pick in the beatport top 10 in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    charts are a good start. dont take beatport's word for it though
    Its interesting cross-referencing beatport/Juno/TraxSource/Whatpeopleplay to see how diverse the 'top' tunes really are.
    356 reasons why

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast