Software and installing legality

Default Software and installing legality

So been talking a good chunk with a good friend whom I've grown up with, and we want to start seriously sitting down and working together on the production aspect of things.

I own Ableton, my buddy owns reason. We've been looking at some of the better soft-synths out there.

But what it comes down to, is I just want to know where the law stands on it. We plan on working collaboratively together.

Can we install Ableton on his computer and Reason on mine? It's not so much being separate entities, the entire purpose is so we can easily transfer the base files back and forth between the computers and work on a single project remotely but together at the same time.

I understand that us both purchasing the software individually is the easiest option and the most straight-forward. But do we need to if we are going to be working together? Almost as one unit, but with two computers. I think of it more as purchasing the software for the music "group" that we plan on becoming potentially rather than each of us specifically.

I guess this is a bit of a gray area, and I'm looking for opinions.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

I see where you are coming from but you dont actually buy software! else you would actually own that software and have copyright of it

What you actually buy is a licence to use that software, so the simple answer is if your licence is for installation on one machine that is all you can install it on, however alot of music programs allow you to install it on 2 maCHINEs

Tech Mentor

Insert I'm not a laywer disclaimer here...

One license, One user, One pc... However, that is up to the licensing agreement between you and the software people. Some may allow it, others don't... Some software can be licensed in a multi-user pack, or a network install license, or a shared user license (one pc, multiple users)...

The jist of it is: there is no ONE answer, it all depends on the EULA of the software in question. Your best bet would be to contact the developers and get the official response.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    however alot of music programs allow you to install it on 2 maCHINEs
    Be careful with this... Most of the time (as in Traktors case for example) you are allowed to install it on multiple computers YOU OWN... not multiple computers. It's essentially to allow for mobile use and/or backup use... One copy on your main desktop rig, and one copy on your notebook for mobility.

But as I said, it's 100% up to the developer/publisher of the software... Don't rely on what any of us tells you, ask the source directly.

Tech Guru

yea i noticed that with the NI licences

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm going to email the respective companies, and see what I hear from them.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter