Buying a Mac (aka eating my words)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Buying a Mac (aka eating my words)

MOD EDIT: Original post is below this one.
    Last edited by photojojo; 05-11-2011 at 06:25 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Default Buying a Mac (aka eating my words)

Yes, I know, I've always been one of those 'you don't need a macbook to DJ' people, and have railed against people buying them when they only surfing the web, expecially when they use the 'but Macs don't get viruses' bullshit line, but recently I've been considering getting one as a gig laptop.

Why? I still think they're fucking expensive for what they are, but recently I've had some hiccups with my PC laptop during gigs.

To keep my DPC latency low, the ACPI Battery monitoring has to be turned off, as the driver causes some really bad popping issues - this has led to two occasions in the last year where I've been playing, and I've lost power and hence sound (largely caused by plugging my laptop into a non-working plug socket in a club - no indication that the socket doesn't work, and Traktor is indicating full power as the system battery monitoring is off)

It's either a mac or someone recommending a PC where the latency is low enough without having to turn off battery monitoring.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

just get a 13" or 15" mbp and call it a day.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Oh, and at the moment it'd probably be a secondhand mac, as my first kid is incoming - what's a reasonable minimum spec? A good mate of mine rocks Serato on a black macbook (so its virtually an antique in mac gearwhore terms ...)
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 05-11-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

oh and steve told me no major updates for the macbook pro line up for the next 9 months

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    oh and steve told me no major updates for the macbook pro line up for the next 9 months
    tbh - I'm more than happy with getting a slightly older one - the scottish heritage makes me loathe paying loads of money for something, so latest/greatest ain't necessary really ...

i would say get a re-rub from the apple 13" 2.4 ghz 4gb ram, they come with a 1 yr warranty

Last edited by photojojo; 05-11-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    it's posted my answer to the top of the thread!? wtf?
    completely threw me when i looked into this thread, i assumed i was on page 2 or something haha...
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    completely threw me when i looked into this thread, i assumed i was on page 2 or something haha...
    haha me too!

Sherlock, I'm sure you've read a few posts about it here and there but basically you don't want less than a 2GHz Dual core intel processor and more RAM is always better. Also, keep an eye on what the hard drive capacity is. You want to have space for everything! That said, it's pretty easy to swap in a new hard drive and they cost nothing these days.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast