Adding touch sensitive jog- wheels to a Xone:3d
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Adding touch sensitive jog- wheels to a Xone:3d

Dear Forum,

I am generally very happy with my Xone:3d (I know I should have waited for the 4d) and Traktor Pro2. I like the sound and can work it blind. My only gripe is the lack of the kind of touch sensitive jog-wheels that are found on the likes of the VCI-100 for scratching and 'braking'. So:

1. Would it be theoretically possible to retro-fit such things?

2. Where could I get this done (I'm in Berlin) and how much would it cost?

I thank you all in advance.

Mo (forum Noob)

Apparently I have to include a picture in a new thread:

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think it's possible to make them touch sensitive, but you could map the jogs to scratch when holding a shift button.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but it would probably be very difficult.

You'd have to do something like choose a button you weren't using for each jog and reroute its connections to a new jog wheel platter with some kind of touch sensitive assembly (where you'd get one of them from i have no idea).

Certainly not a beginner mod, and I have no idea how easy the 3D is to open up and mess around with.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Default Thanks for the quick replies:

photojojo:
    I already have the scratch function matched to a shift button. The problem is that I really cant scratch with a shift button. You have to hold it while scratching which means you cant use the crossfader.

fullenglishpint:
    This is precisely what I had in mind. The touch function on the plate would become the shift button. Regular movement on the sides would be braking/pushing. I have a Vestax Spin which I dont use. Could this be cannibalised? I'm not sure how interchangeable parts are and if there are people that can be paid for this kind of work.

I'm really not the person to ask about this, I have no idea which parts you would need!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Make the shift a toggle or buy one of these.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DN-SC2000-Compact-2-Deck-MIDI-Controller/dp/B004AE5CKA"]Amazon.com: DN-SC2000 Compact 2-Deck USB MIDI Controller: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518fTjpziXL.@@AMEPARAM@@518fTjpziXL[/ame]
    Chris Jennings FHP

Quote Originally Posted by mowhiteman View Post
    photojojo:
    I already have the scratch function matched to a shift button. The problem is that I really cant scratch with a shift button. You have to hold it while scratching which means you cant use the crossfader.
    add a midi foot switch to the setup

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    these are way smaller than i thought they'd be... not that it's a problem, its just a side note

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    add a midi foot switch to the setup
    I didn't even think of that and i believe the 3D has a foot switch plug on the back so a $20 foot switch would work great.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Convert

I appreciate your creative thinking. I'll try the foot pedal idea. I think I've got one lying sound somewhere.

This is probably the wrong forum, but would it also be possible to set up the wheel so that if it detected movement it would turn on scratch mode, switching it off once it wasntmoving any more? This way the shift button could toggle between a track search function and a scratch function. Has anyone ever done something like that? Is it even possible with Traktor's scary midi config setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast