Choosing Macbook Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Choosing Macbook Pro

Hey techtools.
    I am about to buy a Macbook Pro and i'm heavily considering the 15" version primarily because of the bigger screen. But do you need the 15" or is the 13" just fine? And what about the processor? Will the 13" handle traktor and ableton at the same time perfectly?
    Thank you!

I'd say get the 15".. Rather have too big of a screen then too small. And i know for a fact the 13" is too small for me.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

depends on the person. I've had 13" laptops for the last 5 years and I love the portability. It's absolutely fine for everything i do including traktor, but at home I do sometimes plug it into a bigger external monitor.

I've never had a bigger laptop cos i hate the idea of carry one around, but I know a lot of people wouldn't dream of going smaller than 15" so as I say, it's personal preference. Go to an apple store and try them out.

Performance wise, no MBP that you can buy new today will struggle with traktor and ableton. (I know, because mine doesn't and it's 2 years old lol).
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I think the 13" screen is too big…I wish they'd bring back the 12" non-widescreen format of the last powerbooks. But…I realize I'm weird.

Use what you're comfortable with. I'd honestly rather use reading glasses than a laptop that I think is too big…but–again–I'm weird.

As for processing power…you can max out a Mac Pro with Live if you're dumb and ask it to do too much. How big is the difference between processors? A bit of a bump in clock speed…on the base models? Who cares. Besides, the 13" i7 is actually a faster processor than they currently offer in the 15" models anyway.

Get the size you want…if you're worried about processor, get the faster model. I say don't worry about it, though…my 2.16 c2duo from 2008 will run Ableton and Traktor together just fine as long as I don't do anything dumb…and Live with the wrong synth patches will cause it to hang by themselves (they have to be pretty ridiculous)…it's more about not being an idiot with what you're telling it to do than it is about one machine actually being better than another.

As far as running Ableton and Traktor together, I think that the limiting factor is the number of screens…not necessarily the size. I hate cmd-tabbing between applications, and even the 17" screen isn't big enough to show both of them at the same time without some UI hacks. If I were running those systems together, I'd honestly just get either an external monitor or 2 13" MBPs and be done with it.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

After using 12'/13' laptops for over 12 years (since the ibook toiletseat-AKA clamshell) I'd go with the 15' if you have the $$ especially for Ableton

Bigger screen = head an extra 3' away from laptop = More crowd connection and less eyestrain.

There's really only just over 1' difference in size and weight feels almost the same and i'll def be getting one next time round.

@mostapha - Yes you are weird , reading glasses seriously :P

I hate cmd-tabbing between applications
    Why not use a "spaces" window for each app ?
    Last edited by deevey; 05-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.

On a related note, what about the 17? Is it really that hard to lug about?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    On a related note, what about the 17? Is it really that hard to lug about?
    I think so... I mean it's not murder, but it's definitely noticeable.

It's more screen real estate that is really needed imo for playing out and at home I have a 32" monitor but that's more for video editing etc.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I never thought it was "That" heavy and certainly when compared to other 17' laptops its just beautiful in comparison... if you're going to use the realestate I'd say well worth it, just bloody expensive.

Then again i'm the guy who really doesn't give a crap how heavy or big something is so long as it performs.

(Maybe i'm just weird )

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Besides, the 13" i7 is actually a faster processor than they currently offer in the 15" models anyway.
    Not true my friend the 15" has the i7 as well not to mention its 2.0 or 2.2 quad core where as the 13 is 2.7 dual

I would go with the 15 and just replace the ram and hard drive save some cash and that way you get to keep your original ram and original hard drive. plus your warranty does not void as I have been informed by a mac rep if you replace them your self

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I never thought it was "That" heavy and certainly when compared to other 17' laptops its just beautiful in comparison... if you're going to use the realestate I'd say well worth it, just bloody expensive.

Then again i'm the guy who really doesn't give a crap how heavy or big something is so long as it performs.

(Maybe i'm just weird )
    Same here. I LOVE my 17", although now anything smaller just looks, small.. I don't mind the size, and like he said, compared to any other 17" laptop ive seen my MBP looks like a supermodel in a body building contest, just slim and sexy vs big and bulky..
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast