Local Competition- 30 minutes DJ set. help needed :)
    Tech Wizard

Default Local Competition- 30 minutes DJ set. help needed :)

Hey Everybody. Basically I have entered a DJ competition nearby me just outside of Manchester. The club holds about 300 but not sure how many will be there. Anyways The set has to be 30 minutes and house based. My questions are:

1. Would you do a mashup or just blend from one to the next ? How many songs approx in this time limit?

2. Would you see what the crowd are like on the night before choosing songs? (obviously have a basic idea)

3.Play popular beats or epic ones people may not have heard? Bit of both im guessing

Thanks

How many DJs on the night? If more than 4, I'd stay away from banger as no doubt at least one other DJ will use same song and make you both look predictable. Instead, go for hidden or unexpected bangers.

Everyone likes a mashup on the dancefloor, as long as it's done well and sounds good so deffo chuck at least one in.

Don't go too popular for same reason as first sentence.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

I'd guess somewhere between 5-8 tracks, depending on how often you wanna change, knowing the general crowd could certainly be an advantage.. As it is a 30 min setup, don't save too much with the bangers, but don't play anything that has been played.. And @1, uhhm, if the others are doing simple mixing, a controllerism/mashup set could really break the repetition and give you a huge advantage as it is something the crowd will remember..

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    How many DJs on the night? If more than 4, I'd stay away from banger as no doubt at least one other DJ will use same song and make you both look predictable. Instead, go for hidden or unexpected bangers.

Everyone likes a mashup on the dancefloor, as long as it's done well and sounds good so deffo chuck at least one in.

Don't go too popular for same reason as first sentence.
    this.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Unless you are the first DJ playing then all bets are off IMO.

Guide to winning a dj comp:
    1. Bring a shit load of friends
    2. Don't fuck up

But yeah what the others said too. Also if you're going to pick maybe one massively popular remix, i'd recommend dropping it out of no where so they remember you. Like looping your playing track and decreasing it's size, then boom, right in their eye.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the help everybody! There are going to be four DJs on this particular night. Cheers Bunford for the advice!

1. I will listen to the other DJs playing my songs so I can play the right bangers and not repeat them

2. Yeah I think 5-8 tracks sounds good with a controllerism/mashup routine in the middle etc. I have never heard anybody in my area do a controllerism/mashup routine live so this could be a great opportunity

3. I will deffo bring a shit load of friends! And I will boom a popular track in everybodys eyes ahah

Thanks everybody! I feel a lot better about it now! Its in 2 weeks so will think of a good little routine Thank you everybody!

Remember, a key rule is to always finish on a HUGE CORKING song! Makes everyone remember you, remember a great ending and makes the job of the next DJ 10 times harder to follow you!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Wizard

Thank You! I shallshortlist some Big ones for the end