Moving to Traktor from CDJ's ..... LOST!!! :(
    Tech Mentor

Default Moving to Traktor from CDJ's ..... LOST!!! :(

Just made the switch to digital from CDJ1000's.
    I have mapped a UC33e, Novation Zero SL MK2 and DJ Endo's TSI for Maschine. I have a few newbie questions:

1. In the Controller Mapping preferences how do i set the MIDI in and OUT Ports correctly. Right now all units are set to ALL PORTS as i do not know which ones i should select in the preferences.

2. In the drop down list, There are 2 settings for Maschine, one is DJ Endo's, the other one i think is the default Maschine comes with. I have the UC33e and Novation Zero SL mapped under Generic Midi, should these be separated to set the Midi ports independently ?

3. I have selected ADVANCED deck layout. But everytime i export my settings and relaunch Traktor, the decks do not show the advanced tabs like Active, Grid/Cue etc. I think this may have to do with DJ Endo's GUI settings which are also exported along with mine. Or i am doing something wrong.
    Please help!

4. Super Newbie question: I am so confused between CUE, Loop In and Hot Cues!!
    Coming from a CDJ in CD Mode, i find the first transient of beat one and Hit Cue. Now everytime i hit CUE it goes back to my Cue point and when i hit play it plays from there. That is how i would like to use Traktor, at least for now till i get more used to it. How do i manage this in Traktor. I set my first Cue point and Hit play. Then when i hit Play agin it pauses and if i hit CUE again it drops a new cue point at that place. I would to return to my first cue point and then play form there. I hope i made sense. What is the correct Traktor method of doing this, what is the command called so i can map it .

Thanks you so much, this is my first post and this seems like a fantastic community!!
    Cheers

nyne

1 & 2: it's better to have different maps for different controllers, so you can select the right IN/OUT port for each mapping. otherwise the controllers might conflict (sending out the same messages)

3: just press twice the small down arrow next to the loop "out" under the "activate" button in traktor, i only have the advanced tab open if i'm prepping my tracks to save space

4: cannot answer this one..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Welcome! now then, let's get started...

Quote Originally Posted by nynemusic View Post
    1. In the Controller Mapping preferences how do i set the MIDI in and OUT Ports correctly. Right now all units are set to ALL PORTS as i do not know which ones i should select in the preferences.
    For each mapping, you need to select the port that relates to that controller. So if it's the mapping for the maschine, you want to select maschine in both in and out ports

2. In the drop down list, There are 2 settings for Maschine, one is DJ Endo's, the other one i think is the default Maschine comes with. I have the UC33e and Novation Zero SL mapped under Generic Midi, should these be separated to set the Midi ports independently ?
    You'll only want to have one of those maschine mappings enabled. Each other controller wants to be assigned to its own port (which would normally have the same name as the device) to avoid conflicts.

3. I have selected ADVANCED deck layout. But everytime i export my settings and relaunch Traktor, the decks do not show the advanced tabs like Active, Grid/Cue etc. I think this may have to do with DJ Endo's GUI settings which are also exported along with mine. Or i am doing something wrong.
    Please help!
    When you export a tsi, it will only contain the currently selected GUI settings, not those present in the tsi files that contained all your different mappings. So it's only yours that are in there. I've not noticed that happend before, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem since there's a little button with a tiny arrow on it on the bottom left of each deck that turns the advanced panel on/off.

4. Super Newbie question: I am so confused between CUE, Loop In and Hot Cues!!
    Coming from a CDJ in CD Mode, i find the first transient of beat one and Hit Cue. Now everytime i hit CUE it goes back to my Cue point and when i hit play it plays from there. That is how i would like to use Traktor, at least for now till i get more used to it. How do i manage this in Traktor. I set my first Cue point and Hit play. Then when i hit Play agin it pauses and if i hit CUE again it drops a new cue point at that place. I would to return to my first cue point and then play form there. I hope i made sense. What is the correct Traktor method of doing this, what is the command called so i can map it .
    yes, that's the way traktor's cue works. if the track is stopped it drops a cue, and if it's playing then it goes back to that cue and stops.

There are a couple of ways of doing what you want. If you just want to use simple, single cue functions then you can map a 'drop cue' command which drops the cue wherever you are without stopping the track, then a 'cue play (CUP)' command, that plays immediately from the last cue point.

The easier way to do it would be using hot cues. These do as you say, and drop a cue on the fly then from then on act as a cue play from that point. You can map up to 8 per track and if the track is stopped you can use them as cue (ie hold to play) buttons for their respective cue points. The command you're looking for in mapping is 'select set + store hot cue' then select between 1 and 8. 1 is normally occupied by thr first beat marker. You'll also want to map a shift command to delete them, which is done with modifiers.

i think you'll find this useful:

https://traktorbible.com/en/t2_comma...commentsection

and this:

http://djbrute.co.uk/ (look for 'midi mapping for bums')

Good luck!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Wow, thank you so much guys!! So many replies so fast.
    Solves all my issues.
    I shall check the solutions out tonite.

Cheers!!!!

Tech Convert

about #4

Im pretty much sure cdj1000 work exactly the same way...