VCI-100 or VCI-300
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default VCI-100 or VCI-300

At the moment i currently have the m-audio audiophile firewire soundcard and faderfox dj2.
    I'm finding the faderfrox a little limiting and just a tad too small, so i was thinking on upgrading to a larger controller.

My question: regarding the soundcard quality of the VCI-300 - is it any good?
    ...nowhere seems to go into depth on this.
    Would I be better with my current soundcard and the VCI-100?
    Another problem is my new laptop doesn't have firewire, so i have a PCMCIA slot with firewire ports (this is a bit dodgy as the lead has slipped out on more than one occasion) - so this is what's swaying me towards the VCI-300

anyone?

The vci-100 also uses a usb cable not a firewire cable.

Personally i would wait and see what the changes firmware 1.4 will make to the VCI-100 before forking out money for the VCI-300.

If the changed so the VCI-100 firmware have 1.4 changes then buy the VCI-100, if not then you might want the VCI-300.

More information will be known soon

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    The vci-100 also uses a usb cable not a firewire cable.
    yes, but if i get the VCI-100 i'll still be using my firewire soundcard/PCMCIA slot which is not ideal.

There is a guy on this board who has recently posted that the internal sound card of the vci-300 isn't up to much although the feel and responsiveness of the unit is better than the 100. So if your forking out the extra just for the sound card it doesn't sound like its worth it.

I think the post is labelled My First day with my new VCI-300 or something.

Gav

Tech Guru

I have a VCI-300, and I think the sound quality is quite excellent. I have been into music for over 20 years and think I have a good ear. My only complaints I have on the 300, which could be limiting for you are:
    If you are not into a rush, maybe hang out for a VCI-400 later this year..if announced at Namm summer show or maybe a A&H Xone 2d?

yes, a VCI-100 with 14 bit midi would be smarter to keep..VCI-100 is a classic, just needs that 14 bit to be up to date. VCI-100SE and 14 bit firmware upgrade and a NI audio 8 , etc, would be better in my opinion.

for me:

pros:

*Love the feel of the volume faders (long)
    * smooth long no indent pitch faders
    * large jog wheels with adj torque
    * 14 bit midi (pitch & jogs)
    * knobs (SE style) feel tight and pro
    * solid build, (but maybe a little heavy)
    * internal high quality sound card (delta-sigma modulation 24 bit stereo D/A-A/D converter) / loud & clear audio (no need for extra hook up, etc)
    has mic in/aux in /1/4 and a rca stereo out.
    * uses only 1 usb cable for all
    * fader curve control (maybe on 100 too?)
    * super tight TT style sync and feel with Itch software.
    * nice use of ergonomics & well spaced knobs /faders..

cons:
    *not enough knobs for proper fx control (I use a Korg Nano and solves it 100%)
    * only 1 pair of stereo outs & no extra booth out. (unless use a 1/4 inch headphone jack and cues out to external mixer)
    * for those who are into lots of cue / hot points for crabbing, etc., the cues (buttons) would be above the jog wheel, and could be annoying for some who like them below like on the 100..(some may feel the opposite).
    * designed for Itch and programming for other software can be complex.
    Last edited by claudek; 01-28-2009 at 12:12 PM.

do the knobs have an increased resolution too ?

Because adjusting the key knob with 7 bit midi isnt a very terribly nice experience.

Tech Guru

I really don't know..all I know is in a shop, I played with a VCI-100 and the pitch sliders felt kinda cheap ( for me) and the VCI-300 feel pro and smooth. I hate indents!

Quote Originally Posted by claudek View Post
    I really don't know..all I know is in a shop, I played with a VCI-100 and the pitch sliders felt kinda cheap ( for me) and the VCI-300 feel pro and smooth. I hate indents!
    There must be a way to get rid of that centre indent, im gonna take a look when i open up my mixer next - my crossfader needs replacing.

Tech Guru

cool if you could add some new non-indented faders

..SE/black should have come without.

Quote Originally Posted by claudek View Post
    cool if you could add some new non-indented faders

..SE/black should have come without.
    What would be better is moding the existing ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast