Hacking the S4 Firmware??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

can't wait to test some

Default Using midi-yoke to override S4 "stupid-ness"

This is a slight diversion from the stated topic of this thread, but since firmware hacking doesn't seem to be oprogressing very fast, I figured I'd address one of the issues mentioned as a reason to WANT hacked firmware:

If you want to send a signal when your Native-mode faders/knobs leave 0% (or 100%), load a 'generic midi' device outputting to a MIDI-Yoke port. This is essentially a midi-loopback: what goes out, comes right back in the same port.

In the control list for the new generic MIDI, add an OUT for the fader that you want to control internal buttons with. Select an arbitrary MIDI channel and CC. Set the low value to 0, the high value to 0.01, and the output values to 0 and 127. I think I kept 'Blend' off to reduce the number of CCs being constantly sent (you'll probably have to play with these settings, BTW, as I'm not in front of my Traktor rig right now).

Now, add an IN for the button you want to be triggered by fader action. Select your arbitrary MIDI Ch+CC. Since you're now working with a MIDI CC instead of a Native Mode slider, Traktor doesn't think it knows better, and you can use the signal to control ANYTHING you want!

And if you want to go above and beyond even THAT, you can add several OUTs to one slider. In this way, a single slider's motion can be translated into -multiple- CCs, with different 'curves'. Now one FX param can go up, another down, and buttons can trigger on or off - all as you move ONE slider.

Let me know if this works for you!

-Matt

PS: Still really rooting for a HID+MIDI-out firmware hack! Keep us posted!
    Last edited by MattE; 12-19-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Typos typos typos

Tech Wizard

I have posted a thread about running ableton thru traktor C and D deck with jack router. after failed attempts with audio Jack Router, I have gotten some success with Sound flower. (not stable) them main reason I see for this not working is that Jack sees traktor and the s4 as one. I need to be able to see the s4 as just a sound card. I thought this thread might could help me do this.

Tech Wizard

I will pay for HID+MIDI combo firmware, but I'm pessimistic about that :/
    good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MattE View Post
    This is a slight diversion from the stated topic of this thread, but since firmware hacking doesn't seem to be oprogressing very fast, I figured I'd address one of the issues mentioned as a reason to WANT hacked firmware:

If you want to send a signal when your Native-mode faders/knobs leave 0% (or 100%), load a 'generic midi' device outputting to a MIDI-Yoke port. This is essentially a midi-loopback: what goes out, comes right back in the same port.

In the control list for the new generic MIDI, add an OUT for the fader that you want to control internal buttons with. Select an arbitrary MIDI channel and CC. Set the low value to 0, the high value to 0.01, and the output values to 0 and 127. I think I kept 'Blend' off to reduce the number of CCs being constantly sent (you'll probably have to play with these settings, BTW, as I'm not in front of my Traktor rig right now).

Now, add an IN for the button you want to be triggered by fader action. Select your arbitrary MIDI Ch+CC. Since you're now working with a MIDI CC instead of a Native Mode slider, Traktor doesn't think it knows better, and you can use the signal to control ANYTHING you want!

And if you want to go above and beyond even THAT, you can add several OUTs to one slider. In this way, a single slider's motion can be translated into -multiple- CCs, with different 'curves'. Now one FX param can go up, another down, and buttons can trigger on or off - all as you move ONE slider.

Let me know if this works for you!

-Matt

PS: Still really rooting for a HID+MIDI-out firmware hack! Keep us posted!
    I don't really understand why that works but it does. Thanks that made my day. Unfortunately it only works for the channel & cross fader in internal mode. Once I switch Traktor to external mode I loose the signal. You don't know a work around for this issue do you?

Right now I'm routing 4 decks form Traktor into Ableton using Jack. I mix in Ableton and use the S4 in midi mode as I've given up on a solution. I would really love to get the high res jogs and such back. If not I think I'll be switching to a VCI-400 soon.

Default Unused knobs = add'l signal out

I'm willing to bet that traktor ignores those controls internally when they're not active. Remember, you're not actually sending the value of the -physical slider- in question, but the value of the -logical- slider (on the screen)...

One trick I've used is to assign a second, previously unused internal control to the slider you want to react to - For example, I dont use an AUX in, so my AUX in -value-, inside traktor, can be assigned to any slider on the S4 without altering the sound output. Then, I can -send- the AUX value to midi-yoke, and respond to that MIDI CC in another way back inside traktor.

You can also do this with the modifiers. Say, assign M1 to a volume slider, and output the value of M1 to CH1 cc1. Now you can respond to CC1 back inside traktor. This, however, only gives you 8 possible states for whatever you're trying to control. It -is- great for designing 8 completely separate FX configurations (loading Group/single mode, assigning fx, and linking wheels/sliders/etc based on the incoming cc) and selecting which one is currently 'active' with a slider (i.e. tempo fader).

-Matt

Tech Wizard

Would love to hack the DDJ-SZ firmware to DISABLE the oscillator sounds when running in external mode (eg "siren" / "horn" - the red buttons on picture)

this was I could use these buttons to pre-select traktor effects, very similar to the pioneer ones (blue buttons on the picture)

https://www.long-mcquade.com/files/7...5eaa777b4e.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12