controller add on for serato/ttm57/dicers setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default controller add on for serato/ttm57/dicers setup

so i just got some dicers and have been impressed with how many possibilities have opened up with more cue points, loop rolls, and easily accessible looping. now that serato has the dj-fx and super knobs i want something to add to my gear so i can use these too in live settings without having to mess with the mouse and keyboard. i tried searching around but couldn't really find threads that address this.

what controllers would you recommend for a traditional dj that is looking to expand into controllerism? i don't really have a budget, but good value is always nice.

i'd like something that is on the smaller side (easily transported to gigs), good build quality, works well with serato (but i'm open to using other software), assignable knobs, nice trigger pads, maybe some faders, something i can grow into and not be limited right away.

what do most people end up using for their live dj sets as a supplement to the traditional 2 turntables and a mixer? i've been looking at things like the lpd8, mpd32, etc. not too familiar with the available controllers so would like some help!

A Denon DN-HC1000S.

Solidly built (heavy), 3 additional layers of MIDI for more controls if needed for SSL. Still use this piece in my own studio, and I have other Dj's impressed with it's size. All for $160 USD. It gets regular use by other DJ's who come and record. Pretty much Plug and Play!

IN addition, I have a couple of friends that use this controller specifically for VSL.
    It is an unknown fact that Mr. T is the original Black Power Ranger.

thanks, looks good - will check it out. any other suggestions?

what about the Kontrol X1? no faders but does have buttons and rotaries.

sadly i sold my decks (1200mk2's silver) about 3 years ago and am only just getting into this new controllerism way of thinking.

in fact i only bought the TP2 upgrade yesterday... after previously buying a 2nd hand traktor 3 license.

the lpd8 seems not bad from what most people say - and for the money you wont lose much if you change your mind. currently i just have some cheapo controllers launchpad + hercules mk2 + nanokontrol + nanokey but am thinking of getting an lpd8 myself but more for drum programming than dj'ing.

I'd pick the korg nano kontrol over the lpd8 since you seem to be more after faders and knobs (something the nanokontrol has plenty) and those on the lpd8 are annoyingly small and fiddly. You don't need the pads quite as much since you have the dicers, right?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'll second the X1, but that Denon controller looks nice as well. Here's a video of Faust and Shortee using an X1 with Serato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVwmDM39_s
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

@xcoldricex
    There's quite a few that work really well. With SSL though, you can use just about anything that's MIDI via USB. There a few here that use an AKAI MPD series, but they're kinda bulky. the MPD 18 is good, but I know yer looking for portability for your gigs, so that's why I mentioned the ones I did. . . I'm just so partial to the 1000S.

Denon DNHC1000S = $170-180
    So far this is my favorite out of the bunchL. The midi channel layers are just what keeps this in my studio and rig. I can program for 3rd or 4th deck (if using an SL3, SL4, or an additional controller for Sixty Eight). Plug and play and your good to go for the native controls!

Native Instruments X1 = $200
    I like this unit as well. Fast response time, and real easy to set-up. I'd pick this one up as well if I was using TP 2 more often, but alas, I'm an SSL guy .

Vestax VFX-1 = $300
    Originally made for the VCi-300 for ICH, but was made compatible for SSL 2.0. I didn't like the layout of the unit, and for SSL users, you may have to order the overlay (for side orientation), and the limited knobs and buttons drew it away from being a "go to" controller for me.

Akai LPD-8 = $70
    Better build quality than the Korg series. Lighted pads, but limited to 8 pads (compared to 12 on the Nano Pads). Knobs extremely small. The knobs I'd use for FX chaining. But that can also be done with. . .

Korg Nano series (Pads, Kontrol, Key)(series 1 or 2) = $50-80 each
    I owned the 2 sets of pads and the Kontrol. I still use the Kontrol for FX, and the pads were great. Pad build quality is pretty shoddy, but for the price, and the pages of assignable pads, it's a nice little addition to any rig. I retired the pads a year ago (one nanopad per deck) and use them for experiments with midi for SSL.

If you do decide on the 1000S, make sure you update the firmware from the DenonDj site. There were issues with freezing the screen, but the audio would be okay. And check Serato forums/online guides for the auto save XML file. . .remove that and you should be good as well.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DjWindzOne View Post
    Native Instruments X1 = $200
    I like this unit as well. Fast response time, and real easy to set-up. I'd pick this one up as well if I was using TP 2 more often, but alas, I'm an SSL guy .
    I'm not really familiar with SSL. Does the SSL mapping that comes with the X1 not work or is it lacking compared to the other controllers you mentioned?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I'm not really familiar with SSL. Does the SSL mapping that comes with the X1 not work or is it lacking compared to the other controllers you mentioned?
    @photojojo
    It's not that it's lacking, the X1 is an excellent choice. . .I just felt extra money isn't up to par with what the Denon offered. The Denon is roughly $40-50 less than the X1, and the quality is far better than what I could dream of. . .There give and takes for either of the controllers I have/had over time. xcoldricex gave his immediate needs (SSL dj, Portability, price, build), and I just had the information and first had use of the ones I mentioned. .

Not to mention there are tsi's for that DNHC100S for Tracktor on the Denon Forums! So it's a win/win, whether I make the jump to TP2, or stick with SSL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast