Should i keep my S4 or move to main DVS system. What next?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should i keep my S4 or move to main DVS system. What next?

As of now i own a traktor kontrol s4 with scratch upgrade using 2 numark cdx's through timecode. Lately ive been doing most of my mixing manual through the cdx's and am love with these turntables pretty much rarely using my cue points and only once in a while using the effects since im mostly a hiphop dj and the effects seem to compliment dubstep,electro or house best. Im left with my turntables and a 20" mixer which end up being a big setup to lug around as a mobile dj. so now im in the dilemma should i sell the s4 and buy a standard digital mixer(thinking ddm400), an audio 6, and a kontrol x1 so i can save space and get rid of the things i dont use. I feel like this might be a cleaner setup for me being a hip hop dj and be an easier set up. I can buy this new setup for $700 and sell my s4 for 900 since it has flight case. Just curious what your guys oppinions are on this as a hiphop dj should i go for a regular mixer with timecode setup or should i just keep the s4 because it has benefits that im not utitlizing. What are the benefits of both systems and whats your oppinion? thanks and sorry this post is a little all over the place
    Last edited by hayden14; 05-15-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Tech Convert

How many channels do you want to control? If you only want 2 channels then don't bother with a ddm800. Just use a quality 2 channel and get an audio 4 not 6. Putting less money into sound card and more into mixer is a better idea imo.

I use a xone 42 but I hear the 22's are really good. Good price for an amazing mixer. It sounds like you are happy with the way your sets sound now so don't worry about "under utilizing" an S4. For a clean set up get a 2 TT+10" mixer coffin with a built in laptop shelf and thats about as clean of a set up you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xitan View Post
    How many channels do you want to control? If you only want 2 channels then don't bother with a ddm800. Just use a quality 2 channel and get an audio 4 not 6. Putting less money into sound card and more into mixer is a better idea imo.

I use a xone 42 but I hear the 22's are really good. Good price for an amazing mixer. It sounds like you are happy with the way your sets sound now so don't worry about "under utilizing" an S4. For a clean set up get a 2 TT+10" mixer coffin with a built in laptop shelf and thats about as clean of a set up you can imagine.
    well i would get the audio 6 just cause it come with the traktor scratch duo 2. can you use sample decks and scratch duo 2 with an audio 4? sorry kind of noob on the specs here. and are you using any controller for cues and effects with your setup ( x1, midifighter, etc?)

Well, in your situation...

The Scratch Duo 2 would probably be the best buy as far as sound card/software goes after you sell the S4.

If your using the turntables for controlling the decks, you dont use effects very often at all, and you dont mind having to press the "hotcue" button on the X1 to access the hotcues when you rarely use them, I would then recommend just that, an X1.

It would be perfect for everything you need to control, and there is a really good sample deck mapping that was done by a forum member (Padi).

That puts you at $550.

As for the mixer.

If you want to mix two channels at a time, and also have an input for your sample decks if you use them...

Most 2 channels mixers have a 3rd aux input, either in addition to the mic, or having the ability to switch the mic input to a line input.

Also, most two channel mixers have phono inputs (and many have a simple switch to change this to line as well) and a separate set of line inputs for each channel.

Meaning, you can connect turntables to the phono inputs, put the switch for the phono input on "line" when using timecode control, and put the switch on "phono" when using analogue vinyl. Allowing you to easily connect a set of CDJ's to the line inputs, and switch over between cdj, and TT and the flip of a toggle. You could then have your soundcard output for the sample decks go into the Aux input, and on the mixer surface you would have access to all three channels of audio, with the X1 and TT's giving you control over the software....

Unless you plan on playing 4 "decks" of audio WITH sample decks routes to an aux channel, then I really dont see the need for 4 channels, especially if its for your house/bedroom setup, catering to your equipment and the way you play.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Well, in your situation...

The Scratch Duo 2 would probably be the best buy as far as sound card/software goes after you sell the S4.

If your using the turntables for controlling the decks, you dont use effects very often at all, and you dont mind having to press the "hotcue" button on the X1 to access the hotcues when you rarely use them, I would then recommend just that, an X1.

It would be perfect for everything you need to control, and there is a really good sample deck mapping that was done by a forum member (Padi).

That puts you at $550.
    This all helped so much thank you! i know you went into depth on a mixer but any idea of mixers that would be good for this? the only reason i meantioned ddm4000 is cause someone on craiglist is selling for 175 and the reviews on it are great. what are the advantages of analog vs digital mixers in this situation also? thanks again for pretty much that essay you wrote above again ha gonna help me alot

Well, as far as the mixer goes, as long as you use it properly, if you are using it in your room, and your not spending thousands of dollars on studio monitors, and playing lossless audio, you will not notice a difference between analogue and digital.

Really it seems your biggest criteria is price...

If you can get the DDM4k for that price, I find it really hard to recommend anything else.

I actually own a DDM4k, and I really like it all around, its a great mixer, and it will work very well for your needs, it might end of having a lot of features you dont use, but the features you will use are going to work really well, and for that price, I would go for it.

The only real reason I was recommending a 2 channel mixer was the size consideration, you could probably get away with it, and would save a lot of real estate.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Honestly it sounds like you'd most benefit from a more traditional setup. I'd look into upgrading down the line into one of the nicer mixers on the market, making that a target goal so to speak. As much as the DDM4k works well, I honestly think getting one of the higher end jobs that's already traktor certified may be the thing to do.

That's just my two cents.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

And if he gets a Traktor Scratch certified mixer, if he ever wants to go play out somewhere he has to take the mixer with him, and find a place for it on the stage, whereas with a separate audio card, you can play on any setup with two players to stick your timecode into, and two channels on a mixer to route your sound card to, and some spot to jam the X1.

Not to mention the cost savings.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

yeah that was another reason for thinking of switching. i went to dj a gig 2 weeks ago and it was at a nightclub and the manager got pissed at me when i moved around his mixer and his techs to put my s4 down in the booth. Also most places use serato but im deff sticking with traktor but a quick sound card move shouldnt make them too upset haha. Also i know you kind of answered it above but not totally sure on the answer but if i have a 2 deck mixer can i just have the sampe decks be setup to the faders on one of those 2 decks or wud i have to use another input n such like you.
    Also the specific ddm4000 sold so ill keep searching for the right mixer.
    Besides that thank you guys so much for the input it all helps and please keep it coming.

On a "two channel" mixer, the sample decks would run through an "aux" or mic channel, witch usually has a gain knob, with either a single, or two band EQ.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast