moving from Windows based laptop to MacBook Pro...advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default moving from Windows based laptop to MacBook Pro...advice

hi guys,

I am seriously considering upgrading from my shitty 2 year old windows 7 based laptop to one of the new MacBook Pro's and wanted some advice as I know nothing of Mac's.

I am consdiering the 15inch MBP i7quad core @2.ghz with 4 gb ram but wanted to know if its worth the extra 350gbp it will cost over the 13inch dual core i7? is there a big difference in processing power? also would you upgrade to 8gb (which costs another 160 GBP)?

i iwll be using it mainly for producing in ableton 8 suite and djing with using numark omnicontrol and launchpad as well as day to day surfing etc.

sorry if its been asked a million times before but an help is appreciated

Traktor doesn't support multiple cores so it'll make little difference there, but in terms of day to day stuff you'll probably notice a bit of a difference. Ableton does support multiple cores. In terms of RAM, I'd say upgrade you 8GB yourself. It's cheaper and really easy.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Traktor doesn't support multiple cores so it'll make little difference there, but in terms of day to day stuff you'll probably notice a bit of a difference. Ableton does support multiple cores. In terms of RAM, I'd say upgrade you 8GB yourself. It's cheaper and really easy.
    This. I just went with a 13" for cost reasons really. For Ableton, the most important thing is screen real-estate. So if you can go with a 15 or 17 and plan on using the laptop as your main computer monitor, I'd say it wouldn't do any harm. The 13" is fine (and haven't had an issue with the 4gb ram or processing speed yet) but having extra screen if you can afford it is always a plus.

I'll also say I've in the past, always been a heavy PC user and a gamer, and making the final decision to switch to a Mac wasn't easy, but I'll say I've been really happy with it so far. Build quality is much higher than even some of the expensive laptops I've owned in the past, battery life is longer, and getting used to OSX isn't that bad, even though it is a touch of a learning experience.

One thing I would suggest (if you don't have one already) is getting a solid mouse. I have the "magic mouse" and while it's nice, having the third button (middle mouse wheel) for ableton I miss.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

so would shell out the extra 350 for the 15 inch then mate?

some one else has advised upgrading ram myself later if i need/want to.

Honestly, the big thing for me (personally) is that if I went with a 15", I'd want to go with the non-glossy screen.

I really suggest going down to the Apple store and playing around. That extra ~350 or so can go a long way. That's Zebra 2 (vst synth) or well on your way to NI synths, or a soundcard. So either way down the line you're going to be spending the cash (more likely than not) but it's a matter of where you want to spend it to increase your workflow and potential.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    This. I just went with a 13" for cost reasons really. For Ableton, the most important thing is screen real-estate. So if you can go with a 15 or 17 and plan on using the laptop as your main computer monitor, I'd say it wouldn't do any harm. The 13" is fine (and haven't had an issue with the 4gb ram or processing speed yet) but having extra screen if you can afford it is always a plus.

I'll also say I've in the past, always been a heavy PC user and a gamer, and making the final decision to switch to a Mac wasn't easy, but I'll say I've been really happy with it so far. Build quality is much higher than even some of the expensive laptops I've owned in the past, battery life is longer, and getting used to OSX isn't that bad, even though it is a touch of a learning experience.

One thing I would suggest (if you don't have one already) is getting a solid mouse. I have the "magic mouse" and while it's nice, having the third button (middle mouse wheel) for ableton I miss.
    thanks for the reply mate.

i think the screen size would be a little small for te 13inch as it would be the main monitor whilst producing etc but if traktor doesn;t support multiple cores then I am not sure i need the quad core over the dual core.

so its a toss up between spending less and have a little less screen to work with but having enough processing power or spending a bbit more and gettting a bigger screen and more than enough processing power.

i am terrible at trying to decide on things like this!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Honestly, the big thing for me (personally) is that if I went with a 15", I'd want to go with the non-glossy screen.

I really suggest going down to the Apple store and playing around. That extra ~350 or so can go a long way. That's Zebra 2 (vst synth) or well on your way to NI synths, or a soundcard. So either way down the line you're going to be spending the cash (more likely than not) but it's a matter of where you want to spend it to increase your workflow and potential.

whats up with the glossy screens?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

There great for looking at pictures, but if you're in a club or some type of environment with lights going off all the time the reflections can be a bitch.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

thanks mate,

i just cant decide which one to seriously consider getting. by the sounds of it the 13inch has all the processing power I need but smaller screen but if i go for a larger screen with more processing power I will have to get the glossy screen which is more £££. help!

what i am apprehensive about is buying the 13inch one and it not being powerful enough and wishing i had spent more getting a 15inch.

just buy a monitor and hook the 13 mbp to it when youre at your desk... thats what i do anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast