Mthrfckrz Mix (Electro House) [Advice Requested]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mthrfckrz Mix (Electro House) [Advice Requested]

I've been lurking on this site for the better part of a year now, so I figured it's time to shit or get off the pot, right?

MTHRFCKRZ Mix (57 MIN, AAC format, 82 MB)

Most of this music is already a few years old, but I had pieces of this thing in my head all this time and I just needed to get it out.

The mix features samples/elements/portions of, in this sequence:

01. New Order: Exit
    02. LCD Soundsystem: North American Scum (Kris Menace Remix)
    03. Underworld: Peggy Sussed (Pete Heller Vocal)
    04. MSTRKRFT: Street Justice (2007 Version)
    05. Mylo: Drop The Pressure (Rex the Dog Remix)
    06. Freeform Five: No More Conversations (Mylo Remix)
    07. Peaches: Shake Yer Dix (Tiga's Where Were You In '92 Remix)
    08. Annie: Chewing Gum (Mylo Remix)
    09. The Prodigy: The Way It is (Live Remix)
    10. Shiny Toy Guns: Nothing Compares 2 U
    11. Goldfrapp: Ooh La La (Tiefschwarz Remix)
    12. Simian Mobile Disco: Sleep Deprivation
    13. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Cheated Hearts (Peaches Remix)
    14. Alter Ego: Rocker (Eric Prydz Remix)
    15. Digitalism: Magnets
    16. Daft Punk: Technologic (Vitalic Remix)
    17. Soulwax: Miserable Girl (Nite Version)
    18. Justice: D.A.N.C.E. (Les Rythmes Digitales Remix)
    19. Daft Punk: The Brainwasher (Erol Alkan's Horrorhouse Dub)
    20. Daft Punk: Robot Rock (Soulwax Remix)
    21. Daft Punk: Oh Yeah
    22. Soulwax: NY Lipps
    23. Simian Mobile Disco: It's The Beat
    24. Pet Shop Boys: Integral (Perfect Immaculate Mix)
    25. The Chemical Brothers: Star Guitar
    26. Daft Punk: Too Long (Live)
    27. The Chemical Brothers: Elektrobank
    28. Diddy & Felix da Housecat: 20 Minute Versions
    29. Robyn: Be Mine! (Ocelot Mthrfckrs Remix)
    30. Marilyn Manson Vs. Goldfrapp: This Is The New Shit

Besides Traktor 3 and a mouse, I have no gear whatsoever. I don't even have a separate headphone output, so I did all this the looooong way, if you know what I mean. I'm long past the point where I want to use some real gear and get out of the bedroom. I know I want to stay digital for the moment, and my research suggests the VCI-100 is the best way to go. But I'd like the DJTT community's opinion.

This mix is where I'm at, musically, for the moment, but I want to do more complicated things with mixing, remixing, transitions and effects. So if anyone's kind enough to listen to this mix, would you please let me know if the VCI-100 is what I want, or recommend other options? I'd really appreciate it.
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr
    download my latest dj mix: mthrfckrz mix

Ill check out the mix when I get home, I like the set list...Love the Soulwax Lipps Track, I havent played that in a minute. BTW what part of L.A. do you stay in?

Oh yeah...Well to DJ TT site, even tho you have been lurking around for a year.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Thanks for the welcome, JesC.

The Soulwax/Lipps track is a revelation. Soulwax are probably my favorite act at the moment. Saw them live at HARDFEST last Halloween and was blown away by their sheer musicality. They've become perhaps a little too ubiquitous but that's just a consequence of being too awesome.

I'm based in Hollywood.
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr

nice set bro!
    by the way....if u don´t have any soundcard just go to ur local computer store and purchase a decent usb headset. ur computer will recognize it as an external soundcard, so u can use the headset with asio as a possibility for prelistening.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Thanks, earl-panda. I can't believe I never thought of that before. I'll definitely use that solution in conjunction with my VCI-100SE when it arrives -- assuming I have enough damn USB ports left, between the mouse and the controller and the external drive!
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr

use a hub for the mouse and the headset...vci and external harddrive should directly go into the pc
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

So a couple raver friends listened to this and told me the track selection is good but the transitions need smoothing out.

I thought the track selection was kind of ho-hum but the transitions were the best parts!

I don't mean this to be one of those "waaaah how come nobody listened" posts but if anybody did get 'round to listening to this, can you tell me what you thought of the transitions? I gotta know if my head is in the right place, can't be thinking my transitions are good if they actually suck.

(download link in the sig if you haven't got it)
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr

Tech Mentor

I'll put it out there, plain and simple.

If you can come up with a mix like that "live" in a club, you could be a resident DJ in one of Montreal/Quebec's club eh... (if that says anything really..)

Most of the stuff I hear on the radio these past weeks have been the worst transitions ever... and considering you're using a mouse... dayum!

Good stuff! Most tracks were new for me, or rarely heard (so was cool to hear again).

Haven't even think about the transitions, just enjoying, so that must mean something

Update: I just noticed, the transitions that are more noticeable are the ones that seem to be diff key or tempo? But indeed, some transitions are noticeable, they seem out of sync with one another's beat. (best example, around 19:00 ... the cowbell is weird)

Update2: Could it be that the cross-fading is too sharp? Voice at 23:00 is kind of jumping in at higher volume than current song playing... but it's nothing to make me dislike the mix btw :P

Update3: Transition at 31:40-32:00 is interesting, like the drum coming in slowly... cross-fading is a bit confusing (two whole tracks with a lot going on overlapping...) ...

Have any other mixes?
    Last edited by quirkysilva; 02-28-2009 at 11:39 AM.

I check out the mix on saturday while I was on the road. The 1st 1/2 of the mix was good, and I was tripping out how good it sounded. The 2nd half did sound like a need work. But overall it was a good mix tape
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Sorry for the huge delay in responding; been slammed with work.

Sincerest thanks to you guys for taking the time to listen and write those thoughtful responses; exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for.

I think some of the messiness in the second half of the mix is the result of my not being able to do any EQ'ing on the fly, on account of not having any control beyond the mouse. Also, just n00bery. But now that I've got a VCI-100SE, I think I will try to replicate this mix and see if it sounds any better.

I'm most relieved to know that my instincts were good, despite the technical flaws. I'm going to keep going and make more stuff. Thanks again.
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast