trying to get started can i get some advice

Default trying to get started can i get some advice

I am just wanting to start being a dj i am thinking a computer archive and cd base to pull from can i get some good guidance on where to start im not complete clueless in sound systems but id like so recommendations on software and minimal equipment i could start with using and a laptop. I know this is very elementary stuff if there is a good guide or information previously posted that some one could guide me to it would be greatly appreciated i wasn't able to find it if there is a guide or anything of that nature

Grab a copy of the demo of Traktor Pro Traktor and use your mouse to start with. Decide if you really like this enough before you start to dump money on midi controllers.

I personally took the plunge and grabbed a VCI-100 as my first controller over a year ago and havent looked back - id do it all over again too !

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Download demos of Ableton and Traktor. If you don't want to use turntables or cd decks then look at Serato Itch (but I'm not sure how their demos work without the external gear).

Research, read reviews and different websites, see what you want to do. Read books on DJing and the like and you'll start to develop a direction.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Well, if you don't have DJ friends, ask your actual friends. Maybe one of them knows someone. Try to test their different setups (if you get their permissions, good luck with that) and go for the equipment (controllers, turntables, cd decks) you feel is most suitable for you. You can visit some music stores and their demo rooms too.
    Keep on jumpin'
    http://dj3du.com

Demo rooms are great, especially because there is no set list of equipment you should use when DJ'n. I've been at it since '92 and still try new equipment all the time. Spend the extra money on your computer...it's well worth it!!! I use Serato for my turntables and Traktor Pro for my vci-100, and haven't had a problem with either. You can get all the equipment in the world, and it still won't make you a better DJ. Time is your best equipment.