Hotel Room DJing

Default Hotel Room DJing

As i progress more in my new job ill start being sent away more often, for longer periods. YIPPEE!

However, on my latest 2 week stint abroad i realised how much i missed DJing.

So im now looking for a way to continue this passion while working away. However, luggage weight is always an issue and litteraly everything i need will have to be taken with me.

Speaker wise ive already got a small portable speaker system. Laptop with Traktor 2 is always with me. Ive previously travelled with my X1 but its just not sufficienton its own, and i cant stand mixing inside of Traktor itself.

So ideally im looking for a lightweight, versatile, all in one controller with an audio interface so i dont have to take a soundcard as well.

Budget wise i dont wana throw more than £200 at this since its literally going to live my in suitcase.

any advice/suggestions would be great.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

vestax spin/typhoon.

lightweight, cheap, internal soundcard. / is a fantastic setup with an x1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think and X1 with the right mapping is great. Have you tried mapping one yourself to better suit your style?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Faderfox DJ3 with an audio 2?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think and X1 with the right mapping is great. Have you tried mapping one yourself to better suit your style?
    Ill be totally Honest.

Nope.

But only for the simple fact that im used to my X1 alongside my usual home setup. I prefer to use real crossfader/faders/eqs and jog wheels. (and im a bit stubborn )

The X1 is great, but if i did remap it to replace the above functions id still need an audio interface like the Audio 2, which is about £80 (new). So i was thinking it might be worthwhile to pay a little more and have it all in one package?
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

For what you want, I'd get a Vestax Spin or Typhoon, as someone else mentioned if you want it all-in-one.

But I'd also ditch the speaker system and just mix in headphones/IEMs. They'll sound better than any speakers you'll be willing to carry with you after the first trip.

I'd also probably not get the Spin/Typhoon at all and just use my current traveling kit: X1 + lpd8 + audio 2. The LPD8 actually makes for a great little fake rotary mixer + tempo controls. I'm actually kind of amazed at how well-suited it is to the task…as long as you're willing to give up per-channel EQs. But…I find myself using those less and less anyway, so no biggie on this side.

It helps that I already owned that stuff plus another X1, another audio interface, and a mixer…one kit stays at home, the other stays in my car. I like the way it works out.

Tech Guru

i enjoy using the X1 and audio 2 together. There's a good mapping in the mapping section I messed with that used the encoders as rotaries for volume. Then it has deck focuse to use the encoders as jog wheel for beatjumps (eight) and the other for fine movements. The knobs I have have Hi, Low, Filter and the top two knobs I use as superknob effects controls. Works great as a portable solution.

SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

i think mixtrack pro is best bet...