I'm inspired by you lot!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm inspired by you lot!

And decided to take the plunge and build my own controller even though I know absolutely nothing about electronics!

I am in the UK, and have two Maplin stores nearby (which are pricey but I can pick things up as and when is required). Also got one or two othr electronics stores where I can pick things up cheaply.

Basically, I'm looking at building a Midifighter-ish controller to supplement my setup. I don't really need it (though some argue that I do, FEP more than anyone else it seems!), but I just fancied giving it a go

However, I have no idea where to start. Reading the software sticky and doing a search, it seems like most threads start off with the assumption that people doing this has some understanding already, which leaves me confused from the offset

I've seen that gamepads PCBs can be used as the "brain" and I'm wondering which conrollers are best to use? I'm considering a 4x4 arcade button setup, and if tehre are spare analog connections, to maybe include some pots or faders (not sure on layout yet - want to get an idea of what's possible first).

Do people have pointers to somewhere I can use as a starting point for building a gamepad Midifighter-esque controller? I have searched, but as I said, any threads I found seem to be assuming some kind of understanding/grasp of the concept of electronics before starting.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. I'd like to show everyone that if I can do it, anyone can, which will hopefully inspire future midi controller builders as you have done for me!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

me too on the same road, only i know that its an hid device that needs some software to convert the inputs to midi or keystrokes. to solder the pots they use some pull up or pull down resistor but DONT know why.

Ask MiL0. He's the expert on these things.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

lol, I wish that were the case! I'm in the same boat as most people here... know a little bit but most of it is theory... still haven't completed a DIY midi project from start to finish yet.

I'd suggest having a look through the recent numpad thread (about 5 posts down on this forum at the moment).

I'll post up a few pointers later on tonight, when I get home from work.

That'd be awesome MiLD! Any pointers would be good as at the moment I'm pretty much at Year One and need to be brought up to 2011
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Have you seen Ean's starter video? It has plenty of tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAosgd9Cy6U

sorry, too drunk to post anything useful tonight... that video is definitely a good place to start though

Got to love modding gamepad's

Some people make it harder than it really is?

Here's a few snaps of a fully working prototype sample player I'm working on right now.

12 buttons
    3 pots

feel free to ask any questions.

Video coming soon.
    Last edited by extraclassic; 05-17-2011 at 05:46 PM.

cool extraclassic !! is that a sampler of its own with memory n stuff or is it like a sampler controller

in a gamepad when you wire up the pots, they need some resistors for pull up or pull down but i don't know the actual thing behind it.please explain
    Last edited by kilobytekaushik; 05-18-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by extraclassic View Post
    Got to love modding gamepad's

Some people make it harder than it really is?

Here's a few snaps of a fully working prototype sample player I'm working on right now.

12 buttons
    3 pots

feel free to ask any questions.

Video coming soon.
    Damn that's looking sexy - nicer than your decks were even..
    I'm sure you said you were a chippie right? Or did I imagine that?

Nice wood skills - the last case I made from mdf was a disaster
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast