Korg Electribe EA-1 Vs. Roland MC-303

Default Korg Electribe EA-1 Vs. Roland MC-303

So i am looking to buy a drum machine. It will be my first so it would be a smaller price tag, and these two both seem to be pretty good options for me.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with these drum machines, and if one is better than the other. I have heard many good things about the electribe, but Roland is just solid brand. So i dunno which one i should buy!

Thanks in advance!
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

Roland MC303 has limited midi functionality... if I recall, the cutoff / resonance controls only output NRPN or some weird sysex (or maybe nothing at all).

It's a fun little machine though - I used to have the MC505 and it was a very inspirational little composition box.

Out of the two, I'd pick the mc-303. It seems to make more sense to me just looking at it. But I could be wrong. For $200ish, I'd go for it.

It looks like they can cost more than that…and you can get a new EMX-1SD for like $500, right? Why not look into that? It seems it can do everything the others can and a bit more. They're kind of impressive little boxes.

I'm still not completely sure I won't end up with one just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Out of the two, I'd pick the mc-303. It seems to make more sense to me just looking at it. But I could be wrong. For $200ish, I'd go for it.

It looks like they can cost more than that…and you can get a new EMX-1SD for like $500, right? Why not look into that? It seems it can do everything the others can and a bit more. They're kind of impressive little boxes.

I'm still not completely sure I won't end up with one just for the heck of it.
    yeah, well i guess i made this thread because i've been looking at the older electribes on ebay for a while now, and they keep going for like 175 or so. and i just saw someone posted the mc-303 for 160 on craigslist.. so 500 is little too far outta my price range :P but i wish!!
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

Okay, then. For that price, i'd consider picking one up. If you're looking for a toy, I don't think you could go wrong. If you're looking for something serious…I'd look for performance videos on youtube and see which one seems to make more sense.

And report back.

Also, if you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you might want to look into stuff available for them. Xenon is one of them, technobox2 is another (and one that I quite like). They're obviously not as nice to work with and the controls are smaller and not…umm…real…but i've always got my iPhone on me.

Depending on what you want out of it, it might end up working as well or better…and the best thing is that they cost like $5.

$5 to have a pari of 303s, plus a 606, 808, and 909 in my pocket to play with while lounging in a hammock sounded pretty good to me. Maybe that'd save some money if it's tight.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Okay, then. For that price, i'd consider picking one up. If you're looking for a toy, I don't think you could go wrong. If you're looking for something serious…I'd look for performance videos on youtube and see which one seems to make more sense.

And report back.

Also, if you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you might want to look into stuff available for them. Xenon is one of them, technobox2 is another (and one that I quite like). They're obviously not as nice to work with and the controls are smaller and not…umm…real…but i've always got my iPhone on me.

Depending on what you want out of it, it might end up working as well or better…and the best thing is that they cost like $5.

$5 to have a pari of 303s, plus a 606, 808, and 909 in my pocket to play with while lounging in a hammock sounded pretty good to me. Maybe that'd save some money if it's tight.
    yeah believe me if i had an ipad i would definitely buy the electribe app for it. and tons of other music apps!!! i mean the latest gorillaz was like 90% done on the ipad.....

but yeah, i think i'll do some more research and report back here once i make a decicion!

uhh well it didnt take too long to decide which one i think i want haha

These two videos pretty much sold it to me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9iw...embedded#at=80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nm7E...eature=feedlik

couldn't really find anything too good with the Electribe :/ but if someone has something please let me know! i would love to see it