Setup question (Mixer)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Setup question (Mixer)

Hey,

I would like to start djing with Traktor Pro 2 using a controller and a mixer. I will start out using an old keyboard as the controller, and I will be mapping it so it fits my needs. The question is what mixer will I need to control Traktor? I quess you can't just buy any cheap mixer and somehow connect it?

I'm very low on money, so a cheap solution is what I prefer :-)

Thanks in advance!

Tech Wizard

In theory, your controller does the job of your mixer. Thats a large part of the appeal of a controller. Which keyboard are you planning to use?

Tech Convert

Got no info on the actual keyboard, but it's almost similar to this: http://www.thomann.de/dk/akai_mpkmini.htm

If you want to use a traditional analogue DJ mixer you don't need anything special at all. All you need is any old mixer (preferably with 3 band EQ! such as the entry level numark m2 mixer) and a sound card with at least 2 stereo outputs (such as the super popular, high quality and cheap as chips NI Audio 2 sound card). Then you connect each stereo output of your sound card to one of the LINE inputs on the back of your mixer and you're good to go.

You can then get a midi controller to control your transport controls but to be honest that's not even needed. You can just map the play + pause + loop etc buttons to buttons on your computer keyboard to start with. If you already have a midi keyboard as you sorta suggested that will work fine. Ean Golden used to DJ with just a midi keyboard and a DJ mixer back in the day. (mixer + midi keyboard is certainly what I would use if I wasn't into turntables)

ALTERNATIVELY you could get a midi controller that is in the style of a mixer but I'm not really a fan of those so I won't get into it.

Hope that helps. if you have any questions just ask.

Tech Convert

Thank you MrPopinjay, that was just the answer I needed. Now I'll get the needed equipment and start practicing!

Have fun dude. Hope to see a pic of your gear in the "show your setup" thread once you've got it how you like it :P

Check out this video, it might give you some ideas for mapping your keyboard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMMFA3fqVYs

Tech Convert

Thank you man!

Just found this forum today, and I really enjoy surfing around, so yes I'll be posting my setup as soon as it's ready :-)

And a really cool video, can't wait till I get started!

mixer wont work with trakktor pro 2.
    you need scratch pro 2
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    you need scratch pro 2
    Incorrect. As long as he has a controller for Traktor and an audio interface, the mixer will do just fine. (that's my setup)

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    you need scratch pro 2
    Theory, don't tell people information unless you know it is true.

A mixer can be used to manipulate audio, it doesn't matter if it came from an ipod or an soundcard or turntable, it's just audio.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 05-21-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast