switching dj's
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: switching dj's

Tech Wizard

Default switching dj's

hi wondering if any1 can explain how you would switch between two djs seamlessly using the club mixer and a x1.

Tech Mentor

most club mixers will have more than two channels, if your on first, common courtesy will tell you to use input 1 and 2.

When the next Dj comes along, he'll plug in to 3 and 4.....

seamlessly done!
    Macbook/DJM800/2x Kontrol x1's/Traktor Scratch Pro

Tech Wizard

if i'm on second will it not be out of time as i cant beatch match well using the x1

Tech Guru

usually you should practise beat matching as it is a rather big fundamental of our trade.... what I myself and a fair few other people out there do is... select a button and map it to be a master tempo tap... tap to the tempo of the other djs song till you get a steady bpm reading... could be like 125 then 126.8, 127.94, 126.90, 127.03, 127.30, 127

then you know its around 127, keep hitting cue button on your first kick and listen in your head phones should be close enough, let it run for at least 8 beats and if its on time do a quick mix when ready if not just drop at the end of the other song, some people like to do a big build up and do a dramatic change between two dj's to make it obvious, but beat matching is rather important spesh if you're laptop crashes and you need to keep the party going on the in house cdj's
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Or you could back spin the dudes CD just as the track reaches the breakdown, play a little vocal sample that fits your genre (just rip something from a film) and then drop your track.

You don't have to beat match in. I've seen plenty of people using CDs who don't ever bother.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    You don't have to beat match in. I've seen plenty of people using CDs who don't ever bother.
    The only time I saw people not bothering was at a Dim Mak event. Just sayin'.

Maybe it's a house music thing.

Jack Bastard

Yeah, it is a bit of a house thing. I always mix manually into the last djs set using the jogs and pitchfaders on my DJTT SE.

If you can't beatmatch then now's the time to learn, like others have said it's a useful skill and pretty easy to pick up considering.

+ It's damn fun.

I rather like the little break between DJs so the crowd can thank the guy who's just played and welcome the next one. A good host helps loads

Quote Originally Posted by bazzfc View Post
    if i'm on second will it not be out of time as i cant beatch match well using the x1
    if he's using traktor/serato, look at his screen. find the bpm of the master deck, and then manually match yours before starting using mouse+pitch fader, or sync to master clock.

then press play in time with them

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast