Need advice on what equipment to buy
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Need advice on what equipment to buy

Hey Guys,
    I need advice on what Gear to Buy because I'm ON A BIG BUDGET. I am looking for a CDJ setup or MIDI controller as I imagine it is hard to find vinyl with most club tracks on it. I am looking at a NuMark NS7FX or 2 N7s and a NuMark X6. I have no idea when it comes to CDJ systems but keep in mind my budget is capped at 1500 MAX. I was hoping someone could shed some insight as to whether I should go with a CDJ setup or MIDI controller, or a time coded setup? Also, Where could I get online lessons to DJ or a training DVD? I heard about the sean gallagher DVD and will try it if nobody has anything better. Finally, What would be the best way to build my music library? I mostly want to work with club music (120 - 140 BPM) and house, to the likes of steve akoi, Afrojack, Skrillex, and David guetta, and songs like Like A G6, Sandstorm, and Rock 'n' Roll.
    Thanks Alot,
    Brenny
    Last edited by DJ g.a.z.e.; 05-21-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ g.a.z.e. View Post
    I imagine it is hard to find vinyl with most club tracks on it.
    You had stated timecode already, so I am assuming you have a little understanding that the tunes are not physically on the vinyl. This is where your laptop comes in to play.

I would say that the setup is not about "what" you want to play so much as "how" you play it.

Controllerism is a very adaptable method of mixing. I started that way and even with CDJs, I still like using my controller over them.

Maybe start with the S4 and get the best of both controllerism, CDJs (jog wheels) and timecode...

As for videos, youtube is your friend, Ellaskins, and mixingguide.com helped me quite a bit in the beginning, but I come from a musical background so it was way more getting used to using the gear than is was where to bring a track in and how to EQ and beatmatch etc...
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

My only concern with the S4 is I'm not the biggest fan of small jog wheels, which I really liked about the ns7, but is there a big enough difference for it to be worth my while to go for the s4, or does the S4 also have an option for timecode?

I think you will get way more bang for your buck with the S4. It's made for Traktor (if that's what you plan you using) so you don't have to worry about mapping yourself. For someone just getting into controllerism, it is a time consuming process to do it yourself. But then again, it's very gratifying when you finish. :eek: Set myself up there lol
    KRK RP8sFG

I haven't had a chance to try either yet, as I'm new to DJing and looking to getting set up, but the ability to use Turntables is a Big bonus for me. Also, what is mapping?

Mapping is making the buttons and knobs on a controller do what you want within the software. Be it volume, cue, play, effects....

If you want turntables then you need to know if you still want software. If so, you will need timecode. If not, a mixer is all you need and you're good to go. Some on here might disagree here, but I don't recommend that for a beginner. It is a lot easier to learn when able to "see" what you are playing on a screen. Once you know your music like the back of your hand and have the basics down, then without software might be an option.
    KRK RP8sFG

Yeah, I can also get stuff not on vinyl for timecode (hell knows how hard finding Like a G6 would be BTW I checked out your channel its pretty good stuff

Thanks for all the help, and I think I will give the S4 a try. One last question though, what Is the best way to learn? I live in ottawa so no possibility to get 1 on 1 lessons but teaching myself seems kind of "stupid" not in a bad way but if I can learn to beatmatch faster with the help of someone else it seems to make more sense

Thanks man.

The S4 is great and I think youll probably never want to get rid of it even if you switch over to CDJs or tables.

Like I said, Ellaskins and mixingguide.com who is also on youtube helped a lot of people inlcuding me. They have step by steps for beginners.

Download some tunes, beatport.com, junodownload, audiojelly are big for electronic, Itunes for your top 40 stuff. Watch the tutorials, go to local events and watch the DJ, practice practice practice. Get creative and have fun.
    KRK RP8sFG

Beat matching is about 30 mins of lessons and then hundreds of hours of practising. There's no fancy tricks, you just gotta learn the skill. There are plenty of videos on youtube, why not have a little surf and see if you understand what they are doing. Don't be put off if it seems impossible at first, just gotta keep trying ;D

I wouldn't advise getting the s4 if you want to use timecode primarily since while it is capable I don't think it's ideal. You don't get an external sound card so you have to play with your s4 and that means you can't really play at clubs with the normal turntable-mixer-turntable set up. It's a cool piece of kit but it's better suited for syncing and such. That and it'd really eat into the turntable budget which is not cool. Can't go cheap on turntables.

I'd go for traktor scratch duo, 2 decent second hand turntables, some mid range headphones and a crappy 2 channel mixer with 3 band EQ if you want turntables
    OR
    2 decent mid range CD players that ain't pioneer (so you get better value for money), a crappy mixer and some mid range headphones if you want to play with CDs

The CD option means no DVS to start with which could be a good thing since it'll be a lot cheaper and easier to set up but you'll lose out on all the funky effects and crap we love on this forum. Probably should try and find some different set ups and try them out first, see what you like.

S4 by itself as your main method of mixing? Awesome. But don't use it purely as a step towards DVS.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast