Wooden suitcase gamepad arcade DIY Project
    Tech Wizard

Default Wooden suitcase gamepad arcade DIY Project

Hello, I have been wanting a midi fighter looking controller with a couple of faders and some knobs since I saw Ean upload a vid about his custom midi fighter. Now a couple of days ago I saw fbonito's midi controller made out of a old wooden suitcase, weird enough I found a very simular looking stuffed in the back of a closet...
    It opens in the "door seller way" but I don't feel like changing the way it opens incase I might break it . I have a couple of ps2 controllers with joysticks that I might wanna use. But is it a problem using two of the same controlers with a usb to 2x ps2 converter? Should I pick up some buzz controllers instead? and use them with a single ps2 controller would that remove the problem of the signals being duplicated?

Also, how many buttons and knobs / sliders would I be able to add with a ps2 controller? And where do I wire the buttons? (I havent cut of the thin green button layer off)

for buttons I wanna use arcade buttons or monome buttons like thise http://www.sparkfun.com/products/7835 but then Id have to have leds and it would be alot more complicated..

Yes its my first DIY project

I have a guitar hero guitar here somewhere too, but I assume its less buttons then a regular ps2 controller.

Tech Guru

looks like a nice case...

check out this thread for all of your gamepad needs. read through the threads linked under the "Gamepad" section. you'll find plenty of info to get you started. Ask specific questions when you're ready to get started.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    looks like a nice case...

check out this thread for all of your gamepad needs. read through the threads linked under the "Gamepad" section. you'll find plenty of info to get you started. Ask specific questions when you're ready to get started.

Ive checked some around the forum before doing this, still I have no idea where to solder the buttons, but I guess its just a matter of testing with wires... :/

I could be wrong but looking at that ps2 gamepad you might not have to do as much soldering as usual to the pcb.

Click on this link and scroll down about half way to the section called "Solderless Extracted PCBs" and see if your gamepad matches any of the model numbers stated.

nice ;-)

if you read the initial discussion on my project thread, many people where saying that i could be better to use a generic plastic case...

they don't know...

have a good build