Soundcard: Presonus Firebox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Soundcard: Presonus Firebox

Hello,

I'm looking a soundcard with:
    1) very good sound quality
    2) easy recording

I'v searched quite some time for a good firewire soundcard and the name Firebox keeps popin up very often. I looked into that and found that it's qute an old model. Has there really been any big developments in four years? Does anyone know any new hi-quality soundcards from own experience?

Second thing that I found was that the pricerange for a new Firebox is from 250USD (Amazon) to 500USD (Presonus homepage). Is there then any difference in the quality? Has anyone bought a Firebox from Amazon or from any other web-store that has a low price?

You are welcome to give any feedback with your own soundcard that your using!

Volk

Quote Originally Posted by volkmann View Post
    I'm looking a soundcard with:
    1) very good sound quality
    2) easy recording
    It's very hard to tell the difference between soundcards on quality anymore, they just do the job. Quality really comes from two areas:

1. Having a good signal chain between the device that's being recorded and your soundcard (mic -> preamp -> desk-eq -> soundcard -> disk for example)
    2. Knowing how to engineer your recordings. What's your chain of amplification? What's your target signal level? What's your target bit-depth, and sample rate? How much headroom do you have in dB? Any good book on music recording will give you the basics on that, but the newer ones on home Digital Recording will get to the point faster, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321304608/

Choose one that's had good reports on stable drivers on your platform, has the right number and types of ins and outs you think you'll be needing, has the right latency of monitoring and round-trip for the kinds of recording you want to be doing and you're good to go.

the going price is around $250 so make sure you dont pay any more than that. good card though!

I have this one and have not had a single problem with it

Tech Convert

Hi,

I'v looked into the prices of the Firebox and it seems that the soundcard costs much more here in Europe than in US (180£ - 362$ or 299EUR - 480$). UK has lower prices.

Does enyone know any good dealer in Europe with a reasonable price for the Firebox?

Peace out

Tech Wizard

Well i loved my Presonus, but last year i went through a transition into protools which i am kind of disappointed with, and could be switching back to the presonus firebox very soon!

For what its worth

Presonus is awsome. Though i dont have the small version, I got the fp-10, it still kicks ass. Its nice cause it has 8 stereo outputs than i route. Excessive yes....though i didnt think i would be useing it to Dj...

Hey, Volkmann, I bought my Firebox from Thomman for 285 EUR

http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_firebox.htm

I highly recommend this store, free shipping over 200 EUR and a great service. I've bought a few items from there and never had a problem.

Seems pricey compared to US prices though...

Tech Wizard

i bought my firebox about USD$320 in Hong Kong

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Just brought my firebox, 450 NZD.
    Cant wait to get it, have been meaning to pick one up for a while now !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast