2 15" speakers or 2 12" with 18" or 15" sub
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default 2 15" speakers or 2 12" with 18" or 15" sub

i am starting to dj and i narrowed my speakers down to 3 choices.
    They all include Behringers.
    option 1: a pair of EUROLIVE B215D 15" speakers alone
    option 2: a pair of EUROLIVE B212D 12" speakers with one EUROLIVE B1800D-PRO 18" sub
    option 3: a pair of EUROLIVE B212D 12" speakers with one EUROLIVE B1500D-PRO 15" sub

im deff not doing gigs over 200 so basically 100-150 people. Price is an issue and is why i narrowed it down to these. Thanks
    Last edited by PJSnow; 05-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.

i personally am in the same dillemma of buying new speakers

im thinkin two B215d 15" s with the 18" sub.

personally i like the roof to shake but thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

What kind of gigs? For mobile style gigs the 15s will do fine, but option 2 would probably work out best all around. You'll get a bit more rumble out of the 18", but it might overpower the 12"s at high volumes and increase your risk of blowing them.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    What kind of gigs? For mobile style gigs the 15s will do fine, but option 2 would probably work out best all around. You'll get a bit more rumble out of the 18", but it might overpower the 12"s at high volumes and increase your risk of blowing them.
    its basically going to be simple gigs like sweet16s, communions, and such but maybe if i get better i might do like a wedding but thats a little down the road... you think i should start with a pair of 15" and later get the 18" sub when i need it?

I run a set of 12" Behringers with a 15" Gemini subwoofer. I think this setup gets the job done quite nicely for a group of less than 200 in medium sized rooms. I'm very happy with the way it sounds and its not overwhelming to move around by myself.

I play mostly club music with lots of bass, so the sub really added a big punch to my sets. Your situation seems a bit different though. If you aren't looking for chest pounding bass and are instead just doing some background/fun dancing music, I think the 15s alone are a fantastic choice.
    www.djstormeagle.com

DJ Gear: Traktor Pro 2|Traktor Kontrol S4|Macbook Pro
    Audio Gear: Crown XLS 1500|Behringer 212XL|Gemini GVX-SUB 15P
    Lighting: American DJ Galaxian 3D|American DJ LED Megabar 50|American DJ Mini Fog

Two 12's and an 18. The 15" sub won't be able to replicate the same range the 18" will. Also, save some money and buy QSC. It's better quality, has built in limiters, and best of all... a 6 year warranty. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN something on your mobile speakers go. You'll end up spending the money you save on cheaper speakers and then some on repairs, though you pay nothing for it with a warranty.
    Last edited by sobi; 05-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Tech Mentor

I find that I really push the limits of my 15 inch speakers for 100 people parties and would want to do too much more without a sub or more speakers.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by PJSnow View Post
    its basically going to be simple gigs like sweet16s, communions, and such but maybe if i get better i might do like a wedding but thats a little down the road... you think i should start with a pair of 15" and later get the 18" sub when i need it?
    You will be happier with your sound with a sub, But those 18"s by themselves will be just fine for the kind of gigs you're doing. I think you have a pretty solid plan there.

I work as a dj for an event company and have A LOT of sound gear at my disposal. If it's anything smaller than a wedding or a prom I usually just bring a pair of Mackie srm450s and don't bother with a sub. You can always rent one, too.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

anyone think 15s and a 18in sub is over kill? i mean i play a wide range of venues, huge to small....

im thinkin 15s for the all purpose.... and eventually the sub for the larger/ wanna use some bass events
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast