Sound system

Thread: Sound system

Tech Mentor

Default Sound system

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that is pretty comfortable with speakers/subs/amps. Honestly I am pretty novice when it comes to knowing what to buy and which setup would work/sound well together. Currently we have this set up http://www.djdeals.com/geminiXTR500.htm The bare minimum to get buy. Unfortionately the subwoofer blew on us and has this rattle sound, so its pretty useless. We are looking to upgrade to something that is loud/durable/and has good sound quality. Like I said I'm not sure what to get. The gigs we do are anywhere from 60 - 300 people. Also, I was wondering if I'd still be able to use the 2 10" loudspeakers?

Thanks for the help,

plur

Tech Student

Hey, I've learned my lesson buying the least expensive gear a while ago, sorry you had to learn this also. Anyway, I would suggest anything the qsc k-series speakers, I use the 10" version and they are amazing, you will need a subwoofer though if you play bass heavy music. There are possibly many less expensive options out there, surf the net and read reviews, i have heard great things about the b52 matrix 1000&2000 speakers. Good luck.
    Last edited by RC LEE; 05-24-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Traktor Pro 2-Audio Kontrol 1-Vestax VCI 100
    Midi-Fighter-Samsung QX410.

Tech Convert

I second the B52 system. Easily Portable. Built in amplification. Sounds awesome. http://www.b-52pro.com/Products/Matrix1000V2.html
    Used that for gigs that I would DJ for parties/events. Way better than any other powered setup out there. I got mine used from guitar center as an open box for $600. Add speakon cables and it's tough to beat for smaller venues. It's not going to blow anyone away but it worked for every small/mid sized venue I set it up in.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tim_vicious View Post
    I second the B52 system. Easily Portable. Built in amplification. Sounds awesome. http://www.b-52pro.com/Products/Matrix1000V2.html
    Used that for gigs that I would DJ for parties/events. Way better than any other powered setup out there. I got mine used from guitar center as an open box for $600. Add speakon cables and it's tough to beat for smaller venues. It's not going to blow anyone away but it worked for every small/mid sized venue I set it up in.
    Would there be any way to hook up 2 additional 10" speakers?

Tech Wizard

Im in literally the same problem! I had two small ( I dont know,10 inch?) JVC Labyrith 80 WATT speakers , second hand, had been used by my older brother for a good 3 years before that in which he had them at one point playing full volume for 24 hours straight. Anyway I started DJing in early january there with the speakers and right on my very first play in front of a live audience of about 15-20 people they fucking blew...what are the odds!

So im looking for something to replace them, something that is of reasonable price, im talking like under 200 quid, nothing for playing at a proper gig, just loud enough for up to 200 people to hear (I live in a small town so venues wouldnt have more than that, even then id have to be fucking David Guetta or something to get 200 people)

TL;DR Small spearkers plus amp or alternative, under 200 quid for house parties/tiny club parties

PS: I posted this here because I didnt want to start another thread

Much appreaciated
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEMAU5 View Post
    Im in literally the same problem! I had two small ( I dont know,10 inch?) JVC Labyrith 80 WATT speakers , second hand, had been used by my older brother for a good 3 years before that in which he had them at one point playing full volume for 24 hours straight. Anyway I started DJing in early january there with the speakers and right on my very first play in front of a live audience of about 15-20 people they fucking blew...what are the odds!

So im looking for something to replace them, something that is of reasonable price, im talking like under 200 quid, nothing for playing at a proper gig, just loud enough for up to 200 people to hear (I live in a small town so venues wouldnt have more than that, even then id have to be fucking David Guetta or something to get 200 people)

TL;DR Small spearkers plus amp or alternative, under 200 quid for house parties/tiny club parties

PS: I posted this here because I didnt want to start another thread

Much appreaciated
    Same man, luckily we still have our two loudspeakers, only our sub blew....so we're only looking for an amp and a sub. Does anyone know anything about either?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fourth_Frequency View Post
    Same man, luckily we still have our two loudspeakers, only our sub blew...?
    How'd you blow the sub? My speakers just blew from wear and tear and Im raging, wont be mixing for about 2 weeks!!!
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEMAU5 View Post
    How'd you blow the sub? My speakers just blew from wear and tear and Im raging, wont be mixing for about 2 weeks!!!
    I think someone put the volume up too loud too soon. So it never had time to ease into the volume. Rookie mistake.