Another Versus Thread: Akai MPD 24 vs Midifighter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another Versus Thread: Akai MPD 24 vs Midifighter

I'm looking for a second controller to use along my Mixtrack. I want this controller for cue point juggling and effects combos such as the usual midifighter stuff on Traktor 2.

I simply love the looks of the Midifighter and I also love it's compact size. DJTT mappings are another real plus.

The MPD 24 has the added value of knobs and faders that I could really use for loads of stuff, such as filters, EQ's, sample deck's volume and what not.. The downside of it, AFAIK, is it's size, being considerably bigger, the need for an external power source (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, the MPD 24 is a lot cheaper than the Midifighter...

As far as I know, it is also posible to use the instant gratification mapping with the MPD 24 (with a little tweaking here and there), right?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

MIDIFIGHTER. sorry to be biased, but i used to run my fx on the x1 and the Instant Gratification combo blows it outta the water, hands down.

i bought mine used, look around, personally i think theyre worth the money. (as i have an MPK that i use with ableton and have been using the midifighter more for the same functions....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    MIDIFIGHTER. sorry to be biased, but i used to run my fx on the x1 and the Instant Gratification combo blows it outta the water, hands down.

i bought mine used, look around, personally i think theyre worth the money. (as i have an MPK that i use with ableton and have been using the midifighter more for the same functions....)
    Which effect combos can you control using the MF? I wondering if every effect can be controlled via buttons instead of knobs in an effective way.. I'd love some opinions on controlling effects with buttons instead of knobs and stuff..
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Tech Wizard

The knobs on the mpd24 is junk as far as my experience goes.
    My soundcloud(not the best mixes): http://soundcloud.com/mystical-bear/
    My Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/Einarbanani/

watch the IG mapping demo-video. (or any of the responses to it on youtube)

too lazy to youtube it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

mpd24 IS usb-powered.

I say Midi Fighter, it's built like a tank, and all of the parts are easily replaceable if somehow you break one of them. It's worth the extra. If you really want a pad controller the M-Audio Trigger Finger is a bit more robust than the MPD24, and it takes skrillex's constant beating and showing off. If size is an issue Akai just released the MPD18 which is the MPD24 without the knobs. It you just want pads, that's your best bet. I wouldn't recommend just pads, because if you get the instant grat mapping you'll be able to modulate even more with the knobs, but if you simply want the pads, go with the MPD18. That's my .02. I hope it helped.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Tech Mentor

I have a mpd24 and 2 midifighters and must say it is a close one ...

MPD faders make mixing without a external mixer or another controller pretty good. Flipped mine on it side so the faders where left/right instead of up/down. As said before the pots are crap as they are endless (i never use them because of this)

Now i have my midi fighters and mixer i never use the mpd... midi fighters just feel alot better and with the LED's i can see where i am in a mapping
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Ive used both too.

I applied the original midifighter mapping to it and it worked a treat. Set up some super knobs/faders for some fun too.

I sold it though in favour of a midifighter. The buttons on the midifighter are way better than pads and the footprint & weight of the midifighter makes it much easier to transport.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by jamthrax View Post
    the pots are crap as they are endless (i never use them because of this)
    just not using imagination...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast