Ableton woes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ableton woes

Default Ableton woes

Well as much as I like learning new tricks I feel kinda sad about using ableton.
    The things that could be improved would be the warping big time
    It's sad to see that Traktor can beatgrid a song like 10x better than ableton and then the keylock doesn't destroy the sound like Ableton.

I got warping down but when listening through my monitor headphones the track sounds like it's all fuzzy no matter what till I set the master tempo to the same bpm as the track that is playing.
    I have tried all the different options for warping but they all sound like garbage imho.

The effects..... jesus fucking christ do I really even need to say? THEY BLOW, sure you have like a ton and a half effects but most sound like garbage and leave you needing an external effects processor and controling the ones in ableton with my apc40 isnt easy.

EQ options... found one usermade that worked far better than the built in ones and also has a fucking epic effect in it that Traktor needs.

Organization.... I miss seeing all the info laid out in front of me to see such as keys, bpm, artist names, labels, cover art, ect. Those made it easy for me to quickly choose a track.

Fun.... not there for me since I feel it's too much prep work and not doing all the stuff live like I do, sure you can do the same in ableton but the whole quantize bit seems a bit wack and needing to trigger stuff before it happens just to land it on the beat you want.

I sat there mixing a few songs together and felt like I was kinda just tapping "Next" on a mp3 player.

I feel that ableton could get some aspects right with a little more effort for fixing a few things such as the warping and sound preservation, and could potentially blow everything else away.

Maybe it's just me and not liking ableton too much... but now that I think about it.... how is ableton more interesting to look at than Traktor
    How am I not a REAL dj using sync in a dj software and yet a dj if I use studio software THAT DOES THE SAME THING ABOUT SYNC herpherpherp.

starting to hate these haters that use cdjs ONLY
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Also Traktor doesnt require quicktime for mp3......wtf is that all about
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

About the warping, you can change which quality you want, fast or good, in the sample box. (below warp on/off).
    As for the fx, I don't think you are using them correctly somehow. They have a really god rep, anyways. But we all use different VSTs, it's a matter of taste.
    And remember, live is a DAW, not a dj system first. So the browsing experience isn't made for that...

And if you talk about bad sound quality, don't come dragging with your mp3s

-and you can turn off the quantisation up top, just like in traktor!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysgaard View Post
    About the warping, you can change which quality you want, fast or good, in the sample box. (below warp on/off).
    As for the fx, I don't think you are using them correctly somehow. They have a really god rep, anyways. But we all use different VSTs, it's a matter of taste.
    And remember, live is a DAW, not a dj system first. So the browsing experience isn't made for that...
    I have it on high quality but that says it doesnt affect the time stretching.
    And as for the mp3s, I dont have a job where i get paid loads of cash since I work as a babysitter so I stick with mp3s from beatport.

then again that might be the problem with the sound is due to quicktime decoding....... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EDIT: nvm even a wav sounded fuzzy =.= (A non converted wav that is)
    Last edited by MuzicFreq; 05-26-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

Tech Mentor

Complex Pro wtf!!

Having come from the other way (ableton to traktor) it will get better.. i found gridding in traktor a pain at the start because i was so use to ableton.

If you have a full version of ableton change the warp type to complex pro it is the best encoding and keeping the pitch of a track the same when changing tempo.

Or you can set it to repitch which will act like vynil when changing tempo.

If you have live lite then i think you get the option of complex which so do fine.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Okay, so the fuzzyness have to be an issue with your audio interface, i suppose. If it works good in other programs like traktor, my guess is check your sample rates and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by jamthrax View Post
    Complex Pro wtf!!

Having come from the other way (ableton to traktor) it will get better.. i found gridding in traktor a pain at the start because i was so use to ableton.

If you have a full version of ableton change the warp type to complex pro it is the best encoding and keeping the pitch of a track the same when changing tempo.

Or you can set it to repitch which will act like vynil when changing tempo.

If you have live lite then i think you get the option of complex which so do fine.
    nah it doesnt have complex... at least on the AkaiEdition
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

As someone else pointed out ableton is a DAW first not a dj program

dont just use preset e.q's effects etc... that come with live
    explore the web there are so amazing plugins for live that give it more dj type flow

i have no problem with sound in live,check your soundcard

don't look at live like traktor its so much more
    make samples,play live synth parts,just do your research and you will soon fall in love with it

+1 on tommy's post. Try googling for will marshall's apc40 dj mapping, if you are using that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast