VCI too much for my laptop - periodic lock ups. HAAYALP!

Unhappy VCI too much for my laptop - periodic lock ups. HAAYALP!

Hi techheads

Firstly, sorry for the essay here but I've tried to include as much detail as poss

I've bought a DJ Techtools VCI SE (with arcade buttons), 1.4 firmware. It's doesnt run well on my Traktor Scratch Pro setup.

It works perfectly at first even on a relatively low latency setting using my Audio4DJ soundcard (sorry, interface) BUT after a few minutes of cool effecting, cutting, scratching etc it locks up, and at the same time Traktor locks up too for a say 20 seconds (it keeps playing my track though albeit with undesirable effects noise still going!). Traktor will then respond to my mouse so I can fix the mix quick. At no point do I see the CPU meter in Traktor get too high.

The VCI appears to freeze for a while too, its a short while before the midi data light responds again to me moving the controls about. The only way I can get the VCI to control Traktor again was to switch on and off or unplug/replug the usb.

I've tried it on different usb ports too (with and without a powered hub). This problem has occured many times this week. I wanted to use it for two gigs this weekend but I can't trust it currently.

My laptop has always handled DVS inputs from my decks with good low latency scratching and often doing lots of cue point juggling with zero drop outs and and lots of live gigs without hassle, but admitley this was pre-VCI and I was using external mode with mixers and I wasnt working the effects much (sometimes I would use my Akai LPD8 for some tweaking). So the VCI is working parts of Traktor it's never had fondled before. I haven't even tried 4 deck mixing yet or combining VCI use with DVS input, I don't dare. I wont be using the VCI for live scratching, I dont find it anywhere near as good to do as with DVS vinyl.

My laptop isnt an amazing spec granted, but it's been fine so far. It's a 2006/7 HP Pavillion DV6000Z, AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU at 1.8ghz upgraded to 4GB RAM (but machine probably only recognising 3GB) on Vista 32bit and I run it super lean and keep it clear of crap, no viruses, registry rubbish or known conflicts. Traktor is the latest version 1 update.

I actually had a similar problem using a Numark NS7 and Serato ITCH, it would be fine then after some use I would start getting massive delay on the actions on the controls or even the software and the unit would freeze. Again I sometimes had to reset the NS7. This setup never liked running on low latency but it ran at a gig fine all night on high latency/low waveform graphic refresh setting. At lowest latency it would allow me to do some super sharp scratching, for example, for a few mins before it would crap out. I sold it anyway, assumed the setup was too much for my laptop (and it was too big n heavy). All the while Traktor with DVS kept working for me perfectly (with and without my Akai LPD8).

This could be coincedence but after installing the tsi files (latest available) for the VCI, the day before it arrived, Traktor has been producing an error message after about 5 mins or so after loading, its a pop up box saying 'Traktor experienced an unexpected error (or similar) and needs to close'. If I leave that pop up and move it out the way Traktor seems to run absolutely fine, I even did two gigs last weekend (without the VCI, one was using DVS vinyl) with the error message on screen (I didnt want to restart Traktor and have problem again) and it continued to run fine the rest of the night. I need to solve that error though, it cant be good, it produces a crashlog I should send to NI. The error started AFTER installing the tsi files but not sure if it was also after I started using the VCI. Could be unrelated. I've read that some people get this error due to a soundcard issue but my Audio4 seems fine (maybe I should reinstall the driver?)

SO, could this be a problem with VCI? Problem with Traktor or can my laptop just not handle lots of data going on now i'm using internal mode and doing fancy stuff with the VCI? Should I try reinstalling driver for the VCI or even Traktor or just get a better laptop to handle it, perhaps a non-AMD cpu one? I havent yet tried upping the latency buffer or a different USB cable either. Maybe even try Vista in safe mode?

This old thread talks about a simiar problem, I havent been able to digest it all yet: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...reezing&page=2

I so want it to work, the VCI seems superb for me.

I have access to a little Dell Mini 10 with the Intel Atom cpu, would that handle Traktor and the VCI well, maybe even with DVS?

Oh... I have just re-read the instructions in the 'how to setup your VCI' thread.
    I have to admit I havent loaded my tsi files twice like it tells you and i havent checked if All Ports or the vci is selected in the settings.

I will try these things anyway and I apologise in advance if this is in fact the route of my problems! I really hope this is the case, or I'll be using straight DVS alone and my poxy mouse this weekend...

fingers crossed, i had problems like this, then up'd my latency and switched other unused hardware (wirelss etc..) and all is fine. and mines a lower spec acer laptop

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Smile

SOLVED! (so far)

Re imported the TSIs and settings again via the Big Import Button, restarted Traktor PLUS found a better quality USB cable for the VCI (this one is marked 'hi speed' and has ferrite chokes plus is nice and short. The old one did look a bit shitty).

The unit only crashed once after about 5 mins (I reset it) but after further 2 hours of solid play no further problems, just the odd glitch sounds toward the end of my session (probably needs latency adjustment)

AND.. the Traktor error message has not appeared in this session.

Looks like I'll be rockin the VCI at my gigs this weekend

It pays to read help threads don't it

Sometimes glitches/freezes can be reset by switching vci off and on... gives traktor and laptop time breathe

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud