Disassembling the Kontrol S4 / Potential Custom S4 Build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disassembling the Kontrol S4 / Potential Custom S4 Build

I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the center circuit board (With the channel faders and EQ knobs) on the Kontrol S4? I removed the screws that I though needed to be removed and maybe I’m just a little bit slow but I can’t get it off smoothly and don’t want to break it. Are the pots for the EQ screwed in from the top somehow?

A second question I had is would it be doable to remove the channel faders and gain knobs from the S4’s circuit boards and replace them with new knobs/faders that are wired to a second midi brain? I’ve read that faders can be de-soldered from the board on the VCI and figured that it must be similar design on the S4.

I’ll post some pics when I get the chance of the inside of the S4. I originally disassembled her to take a peak inside to see if I could put in arcade buttons. Unfortunately there is not enough room (as others have stated) based on the way the side circuit boards mount. Now I’m debating building a new longer case and then adding arcade buttons to the bottom of the controller. In addition I want to swap the faders and gain knobs as well as add a few other smaller buttons and a second brain so that I can run the S4 in NHL mode while controlling the faders in Ableton (midi) via the 2nd brain. (smartmixer….post fader effects and such)

Any help on this potential project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chase

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm very, very interested in seeing pics.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I have disassembled the office S4 as much as I dare - it is difficult.

The IO pcb on the back is easy enough to remove, however the PCBs which hold the mixing section and deck sections seem to be held in place from the front as well, this could well mean having to pull the front panels off which are likely glued or taped in place - unless you are very confident with this kind of work do not force anything!

Tech Wizard

I wouldn't dare void my warranty. Would it not be easier to just get a 2nd controller for ableton & then custom building a midi fighter type controller?

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    I have disassembled the office S4 as much as I dare - it is difficult.

The IO pcb on the back is easy enough to remove, however the PCBs which hold the mixing section and deck sections seem to be held in place from the front as well, this could well mean having to pull the front panels off which are likely glued or taped in place - unless you are very confident with this kind of work do not force anything!
    You think they’re taped or glued, that would make sense I guess. Then there is no way to replace a fader if they go bad unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Shifty Sheep View Post
    I wouldn't dare void my warranty. Would it not be easier to just get a 2nd controller for ableton & then custom building a midi fighter type controller?
    My warranty is already void but opening the S4 up unfortunately. I'm not too worried about that though. I'm planning on putting an inofadder in anyway so it was inevitable.

I have many other controllers that I could use. What I'm trying to do is route the audio from Traktor into Ableton to take advantage of post fader effects, the smartmixer setup and for recording. Unfortunately in external mode the channel faders no longer work in Traktor and can't be programed in Ableton in NHL mode. I've started working on my own midi mapping but I'm having problems mapping the jogs. I posted a separate question on that issue.

Coming from a turntablist background using the S4 jogs and then a separate controller for the faders would not work for me.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Chase View Post
    I’ll post some pics when I get the chance of the inside of the S4. I originally disassembled her to take a peak inside to see if I could put in arcade buttons. Unfortunately there is not enough room (as others have stated) based on the way the side circuit boards mount.
    Maybe there's other buttons there would fit ? Try to have a look here: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/arcadeparts.htm

User TeLLy on NI forum already opened the S4 and also have an Innofader fitted inside. Pretty sure this guy will give you some hints if you ask.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    User TeLLy on NI forum already opened the S4 and also have an Innofader fitted inside. Pretty sure this guy will give you some hints if you ask.
    Thanks, I saw the video he posted the other night. I have an innofader in my DJM800 but it's too large for the S4. You would definitely have to cut a hole in the bottom. (not that big of a deal if that's what it takes) I'm not sure what model Telly is testing for them right now but I'm definitely anxious to find out the details.

Quote Originally Posted by djmif View Post
    Maybe there's other buttons there would fit ? Try to have a look here: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/arcadeparts.htm
    Thanks for the suggestion. At first I had the same thought but the problem is that the side boards run the entire length of the unit and are pressed up against the top plate. I'll try to dig up my camera today to show everyone. Unfortunately the only way I see that it could work is to make the top plate larger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast