Tips for dropping an acapella
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips for dropping an acapella

In another thread on this site, someone informed me about a good site to download acapella's from (acapellas4u.co.uk).

I just checked it out and searched their database and was impressed with the results. I'm def. going to download a bunch when I get home.

This got me thinking. Besides making sure the BPM's match and the keys are compatable, what are some tips for using acapellas?

Like do you ususally use an entire acapella (whole song's lyrics) and just play that over an EDM beat or do you prefer to just stab in the hook or loop it?

What effects do you usually apply to the acapella, etc?

Thanks!

I would like to see some tips on this as well!
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

It really depends on what you're looking for. Personally I just sample the chorus, some importnat parts, and through them on the Traktor sampler and overplay. But you can also create your own remix by using the entire acapella track and layering it over another sound. I use a little bit of echo, and some reverb on most of my sounds, but it varies, depending on the type of voice and the length of the sample.

Tech Mentor

Im not one to overdo acapella's with effects, but the right amount of beatmasher sometimes gives a banger result!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Guru

add a bit of reverb.

make room for the acapella by eqing a bit of space on the underlying track by pulling the mids or highs back a notch or two. can also be achieved by using the notch filter.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    add a bit of reverb.

make room for the acapella by eqing a bit of space on the underlying track by pulling the mids or highs back a notch or two. can also be achieved by using the notch filter.
    This, and make sure the timing is tight

Tech Convert

Heres maybe a newb question but it has to do with getting the correct bpm on the acapellas. i remember reading or watching a video saying the best way to do it is find bpm of the original song the accapella is from. however is there any shortcut to getting the correct bpm from the acapella alone without the original track?

Tech Mentor

I have an app on my phone on which I can tap along with a song and it measures the bpm, handy in live situations. If you do not have a smartphone, I believe the same can be achieved using Traktor's built-in metronome.

It's going to take some rythmical feeling to get it accurate, but hey, you're a dj innit!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Convert

well i know i use tap quite frequently on bpming my hip hop tracks but on acapellas sometimes i cant get accurate bpms

Tech Mentor

Practice is key. If you can't figure out a certain track, check with the original (youtube if you dont wanna buy it) and try to find out why you couldnt get it straight. You'll get better at it eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast