Music on SSD: worth it?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Music on SSD: worth it?

Any experienced SSD users here?

I have modded my laptop to a 96GB SSD + 250GB HDD combo, and currently have both Windows, Traktor and all my music stored on the SSD.
    One of the reasons I bought the SSD was to shockproof my system against too heavy vibrations in live setups, but I have started wondering if it's really necessary to store your music on the SSD too.

I'm thinking about doing a triple boot (2*Win7 and 1*Ubuntu), and for performance reasons it would make a lot of sense to install them all on the SSD, but that's only possible if I can get my music out of there.

In short: is it worth it to store your music on the SSD? I know that performance-wise there is virtually zero difference, I'm talking reliability and stuff.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

well i got a 160 gb intel ssd as the only drive on my laptop running w7 and its just split in 2 drives, one for os and one for files,

took the old drive and put in an external enclosure and use it to record when needed

but to answer ur q, i have not had any problems with my ssd and as far as i know it seem to work, have an other of the same drive as os drive in my studio comp at home to

but only thing i have noticed is that load times r effected
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

I.M.O ssd drives are not there yet at the price they are coming in at
    give it a a year or so when the specs get better and there are price drops.

I don't thinks is necessary and some stranded Hdd's are faster than the cheaper ssds.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for taking your time, but that's not quite what I'm after. I just need to free up some space on my SSD, and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping my music on SSD or not.
    I know the SSD ain't going to cause me problems, it's the HDD I'm worried about (in live situation, that is).

@TommyQuiet: I already have my SSD, and rest assured it's worth every penny of it as long as you keep the size reasonable. And no, SSD's are way faster than any HDD. You can't just compare sequential read/write times, it's mainly the random read/writes that matter for real-life performance boost.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

OS and maybe programs on SSD.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

No use at all keeping them on the SSD? I suppose vibrations never last long enough to really prevent Traktor being able to load it?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Have you had a problem with vibrations in the past?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

to elaborate further:

the old hd that was in my laptop is now my external recording disc, and I havent had any problems with that disk at all and its been running quite a few years now and i play out 2 days a week.

so its been used as a system/storage disk for 3 years and then like 2 years external recording, no problems so far

it has however had like 3 full wipes prior to reinstalls i have done like once a year it was a syst3m/storage hd
    Last edited by other1; 05-28-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Tech Mentor

@photojojo: Nope, but I have only played about 4 2h sets so that doesn't mean a lot. I had read some stories about it, but now upon further investigation it seems that regular HDD's are in fact robust enough.

All good then, thanks!

good question. i just bought a MBP 13" with a 128gig SSD and put a 500gig hard drive with optibay in it. right now all my music is on the ssd, but i think i will change that soon..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast