Tricky question- got a vci 300 when i ordered a vci 100!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tricky question- got a vci 300 when i ordered a vci 100!

Hey guys,

Last week I ordered a vci-100 black edition from a shop in england across the net. Got home from college today to find a vci-300 sitting on my table waiting for me, along with the Maya 44 sound card I ordered. Now the shop I bought from screwed me around a bit so at first I thought 'haha serves them right I got the more expensive model' and went and set everything up hurriedly.

But.... after messing around with the 300 and itch for the best part of the night I feel slightly..underwhelmed. To me Itch seems like a very basic program, almost a shell of something more advanced like T Pro. I have been using traktor on my mates xponent for a few months now and have grown so used to its features etc. Seeing videos like the one Ean did today is really inspiring and I want to follow that kind of creative direction.

I know I've only spent one day at it, but Itch doesn't seem like it can fulfill my needs. The lack of effects along with the bland style and strange waveform view is quite disappointing to be honest. I think it just looks sub-par really.

I have read over the Vci-300 T Pro thread in the mappings section and although there is great work being done, there just doesn't seem to be enough buttons/knobs on the unit for what I hope to do. And having to translate faders/jogs seems a bit of a chore!

So i guess my question is, what should I do? I'm entitled to return the 300 and get a 100, which i feel is the right thing to do but I'm a little wary of what the future holds. I'm hoping you guys can give me some idea on where things are heading in the future in terms of 14 bit resolution etc.

I don't want to be left behind by buying an older model but the 300 just don't suit my style of mixing! To me Itch suits old skool mixing of hip hop, that kind of thing. I want to push the boundaries a bit! What to do eh?!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

In a few weeks there will be 14-bit in T-Pro, so that shouldn't be a reason.

You can get a little controller to make up for the lack of buttons/knobs as well. I know it spreads out the set up, but that can also add a lot of flexibility.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

JAC, if you dont want the 300 mail it to me and Ill send you black edition

You came up, good for you, keep the 300 and if it not for you sell it to one of your mates or trade to to someone for a VCI-100 BLK & a AUDIO4
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

The only thing that made the VCI-300 cool was the 14 bit midi messages and a slightly better button layout - now the VCI-100 is getting 14 bit messages i think the VCI-100 will be the better of the two.

"What to do eh?!"

So, it depends what you want to do. What is your "style of mixing"?
    Keep on jumpin'
    http://dj3du.com

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    In a few weeks there will be 14-bit in T-Pro, so that shouldn't be a reason.

You can get a little controller to make up for the lack of buttons/knobs as well. I know it spreads out the set up, but that can also add a lot of flexibility.
    I thought of this and yeah it might be a good idea, just means further expense right now! Another nano pad/kontrol might do the trick though.
    Is 14 bit coming with the next update cos honestly I played 3 gigs last week on this one and it's buggy as hell!?

Quote Originally Posted by dj3du View Post
    "What to do eh?!"

So, it depends what you want to do. What is your "style of mixing"?
    Club mixing, use lots of loops and layer tracks over each other. Partial to effects also!

@JAC: Somebody is gonna pay for the 300 (perhaps a store's employee). Why not to return it and ask for a discount for a sound card?

I guess the VCI-100 is the best choice.
    Keep on jumpin'
    http://dj3du.com

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAC View Post
    I thought of this and yeah it might be a good idea, just means further expense right now! Another nano pad/kontrol might do the trick though.
    Is 14 bit coming with the next update cos honestly I played 3 gigs last week on this one and it's buggy as hell!?
    I think that once the VCI-100 has 14-bit it's gonna be the better of the two. Just gonna need that new external sound card

but, if you want to keep it then I'd just wait for the 300.

Personally, I'd get the 100 and ditch the 300.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by dj3du View Post
    @JAC: Somebody is gonna pay for the 300 (perhaps a store's employee). Why not to return it and ask for a discount for a sound card?

I guess the VCI-100 is the best choice.
    Thing is, I got a maya 44 already! I'm thinking i might just splash out on a Nano Kontrol for fx and come up with a tsi that suits me for now. I do like the quality of the 300!

Another thing thats annoying me is that right now when I run T Pro i get some sort of error saying 'there is a debugger running in your system' and it won't open! Might go back to Traktor 3 for now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast