Play for free : breaking into a new city

Default Play for free : breaking into a new city

So I've moved to a new city for work and am just about to get the replacements for my dj kit and will be able to start hitting up some clubs and promoters for gigs.

I've been out and about and checking out the scene around here and a lot of the clubs just have guys cueing up songs on the video jukebox from the booth. Not sure if that means that management doesn't want to pay for proper DJs or if it means that they just don't have access to decent ones.

I do see DJs advertised some times but I'm not sure if that means it's a regular thing or not.

I see it as an opportunity to slide in based on my solid DJing chops and the fact I act professionally, show up on time and can play a solid set of the kind of music they seem to be into (commercial house/trance).

The negatives I see is that the management may have a history of ego DJs (not unlikely given that this is a small city) and be burnt on them, or that they just may not give a shit and be unwilling to pay for a proper DJ when they could just have a jukebox.

I'm willing to play for practically nothing to get a shot up here, but that's not sustainable.

Here's my two most recent demos (as I've posted in another thread, my gear was trashed and I'm about to get a payout for it).

Thoughts from people with a bit of experience in these matters?
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

You'll create an expectation of free DJ'ing, you'll build resentment with the local DJ's and will never get passed gigs, best solution is to get some cards, pass them to bar managers and DJ's with a friendly smile and an offer to cover if they're double booked or sick or if a DJ is a no show.

This is a social business and so you have to make friends.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What Quiggers said
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Unless it's for a close friend, don't ever take a free. Mainly what Quiggers said and the fact you will be undercutting locals (damn cheap promoters).

If you do play for free, make sure you make it clear that they brign you back a second time and pay you proper on the second gig. Don't let bar owners use you. You're providing the entertainment, not the bartender (making tips), or the bouncers (being douches).

While we aren't the msot important part of the club, you must also realize DJs do go a long way in providing an enjoyable atmosphere for patrons.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

I tried playing for free, i got gigs. Then i started charging and I had to start all over again building my reputation.

Don't do it.

^ EDIT: Unless its a really close friend or something of that sort.
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMogal View Post
    I tried playing for free, i got gigs. Then i started charging and I had to start all over again building my reputation.

Don't do it.

^ EDIT: Unless its a really close friend or something of that sort.
    did the venues just refused to pay you? were they satisfied before?
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

It was more of private parties and student organization parties than venues, and they were pretty satisfied. It might be different in venues though.
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

Thanks guys - it's just harder to start here because where I used to live I had loads of mates in the scene that helped hook me up with some contacts.

Here I'm basically going to be cold-calling bar managers and stuff (too small to have a healthy promoter scene) and because I still don't know too many people here I'm not really able to get enough ppl together to throw on my own night.

One thing that I guess will help is that there is a very vibrant backpacker scene with some massive backpacker hostels with their own bars and big dancefloors so I imagine they are always looking for fresh meat.
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook