What keys to start a mix with?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What keys to start a mix with?

I'm about to work on a really big mix right now and I really want to take key into consideration on this one. I just don't really know what key is good to start on. What key do you guys start with?

i normally start with a song i think would be a good intro and then go from there, if key plays a factor, then ill move through em from whatever the intro track is keyed at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

If your serious about doing a whole mix in key, or fluttering around a Camelot wheel, it doesn't matter where you start, as long as you have enough songs in the right key/s to make it work. e.g., if you have lots of songs in 7A,9A and 10A but none in 11A or 12A, start at 3A or 4A so you won't run out of songs before you need a massive key jump.

Although, saying all that, IMHO, mixing in key isn't what defines a good mix, it's just a tool to help you along your sonic journey. The right tune, at the right time, with a good transition makes a good mix! Try not to rely to heavily on it!

Just my two pence!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    ...if you have lots of songs in 7A,9A and 10A but none in 11A or 12A, start at 3A or 4A so you won't run out of songs before you need a massive key jump.
    This is actually almost exactly the case with my library, but is the key of 3a or 4a high pitched or low pitched?

Try starting with a song where you know you can get around the wheel harmonically for at least 3-4 songs before having to totally change gears. I've found as well that if you are really stuck, you can interchange major and minor keys and get away with it and that will usually get you to a completely different part of the wheel to play with and still sounds like you are mixing harmonically. Either that or just end zone mix the 2 songs to get in a new key so there is no clash between the melodies and start going around the wheel again from there.

choose a killer intro track. work out your key progressions from there mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    This is actually almost exactly the case with my library, but is the key of 3a or 4a high pitched or low pitched?
    Key isn't really the same as pitch but 3A is a B Flat Minor and 4A is a F Minor.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    choose a killer intro track. work out your key progressions from there mate.
    +1
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

If you don't know what a key is you shouldn't be asking questions like these. Go buy beginners guide to music theory and get stuck in.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

is the key of 3a or 4a high pitched or low pitched?
    Have you tried listening to them to determine the difference?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast