Traktor Pro 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traktor Pro 2

Tech Student

Default Traktor Pro 2

hey, i'm reasonably new to DJing and use a Numark Mixdeck with Traktor LE right now. i'm not bad with it, and i have the ear for it but i feel like it can't do all of the things i'd like. Now i'm not entirely sure if this is because of my severely limited knowledge of mapping, and programming it, or if its partially the equipment. I've been considering getting Traktor Pro 2, it looks crazy versatile and creative, but i'm afraid using it with my decks would leave me at the same place I am now; unlearned and limited, (just with less money) or if I should just sell my decks and get an S4. what do you think

also, if you have time, what do you guys think is the best and quickest way for me to learn more about my decks/mapping and other setups. thanks

Tech Mentor

Instead of completely switching setup, I'd just buy a small extra controller - such as the LPD8 or MidiFighter - to add some creativity. I like modular setups, very flexible!
    I'm not sure about the differences between LE and Pro so I can't elaborate on that, but Pro will probably be worth it.

As for the mapping, I learned it by just removing the mapping I had and doing everything myself. A whole lot of work that I could have avoided (obviously), but it made me really learn the mapping techniques. They're not that advanced by the way, you just need to have used them to know them.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

LE and Pro are like go karts and formula 1. Sure, LE looks kinda the same, but when you look under the hood it's missing so many features that it's going to get hammered right off the start line (compared to Pro, it's just fine for starting out).

I would certainly consider the S4, because it has very good intuitive 1 to 1 mapping. If I were just starting out now that's definitely what I'd be buying.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

that numark mixdeck looks pretty cool to me... i'd agree that adding some kind of grid controller would be very useful. an lpd8 would also give you 8 rotaries to map. a midifighter would be the best for fast cue point juggling if thats your thing or a launchpad gives you a big 8x8 grid, with multiple pages if you use something like midikatapult and cool led feedback.

i'm pretty new to traktor mapping myself - but it didnt take long to get up to speed. i also deleted any mappings i had for my controllers and just remapped them myself.

seems you get quite a few cool things when you upgrade from LE. LE seems to be missing hot cues, 4 decks and the loop recorder for starters, you'd also get more fx units and types. i think it's a no brainer - definately worth upgrading.

Traktor Comparison Chart
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The thing with LE is the limited FX and that technically there's no custom mappings so getting another controller is really not a valid suggestion with LE.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The thing with LE is the limited FX and that technically there's no custom mappings so getting another controller is really not a valid suggestion with LE.
    Unless its the S4 :P That comes with TP2!
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMogal View Post
    Unless its the S4 :P That comes with TP2!
    Then you wouldnt be using Le...

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Then you wouldnt be using Le...
    Touché (is that how you spell it?)
    My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djmogal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/dj.mogal Equipment: 2011 MBP 13"/ CDJ 350s/ DJM 350/ V-Moda CrossFade LP/ Traktor Pro

Tech Mentor

Yeah!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Convert

I am curious as to what you upgraded to jrmay?

I am in the same boat. I am limited to what I can do with the mixdeck and want to do so much more with it.

Question for ya: I can or can't add the X1 or IPD8 without first upgrading to traktor pro? I find that because the mixdeck is not truly a midi controller it doesn't benefit from everything Traktor Pro has to offer ( ex. recording)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast