[OT...kinda...] - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [OT...kinda...]

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Here's a tip, if you like tune "X" by artist "Y", find out what labels they are on, who they have remixed, and even see if they have any sets online and start looking there.
    This should be in the FAQ for people who are new to djing.
    (Do we have one that's labelled as such? )

While I agree with all of you guys I'm just a sucker and always remember on the various forums I'm on that we all were beginners. I enjoy finding new music and thinking about how I can incorporate it into a set in my head. It's like a puzzle and fun for me. Not everyone is like me though. I'm new to DJing and can't hold a stick to lots of people on here but if I've conquered something or crossed something that can help someone I'm one to post it up for them. What they do with it is their business. I'm just sitting here at the computer anyway.

This happens on my car forum way too much. Just help someone out and let the place keep being peaceful rather than just being an ass cause someone will eventually post something useful for them.
    Traktor Pro 2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter (#100 by Ean himself!), blah blah blah

Soundcloud || Facebook

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Maybe one person's from New York and knows the scene well, and hears something from Toronto and really likes it but hasn't heard of anyone around there, why not just ask someone who does?
    Thar scenario is very unlikely to happen now a days with how fast information travels online.

And it's one thing to ask for help, and it's another thing to ask people to do the digging for you.

And like I said, it seems like it's a knee jerk reaction to just come on here and expect people to give you tunes, when instead you should maybe spend a few days trying to search it out yourself and see what's out there.

As a well known DJ once said (believe it was Danny Howells), DJing is 10% playing the tunes, and 90% digging for the tunes

I just don't understand what the problem is. Let's take this dubstep thread as an example:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1549

The guy doesn't know a lot of dubstep, so asks, and a lot of people are very willing to help him out with artists to look for etc. No one's forcing you to divulge your super secret dancefloor killer, no one's forcing you to reply at all, but many people are more than happy to. What's the big deal.

Sure he could spend a few days looking through the millions of dubstep tracks on beatport and listening to them all, but why not have a starting point to work from? You might as well say that putting Traktor tutorials on youtube is helping people cheat, because if they don't know how to use the software they should just work it out for themselves.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Banned

if they don't know how to use the software they should just work it out for themselves.
    Pretty much how I started out, and I learned a lot in the process that I otherwise wouldn't have learned so now I can trouble shoot issues quicker and even try out different things because I have a better understanding of the software instead of just watching a video on it.

Tech Mentor

We should close down the forums and replace them with a giant search button. Apparently all questions have been answered and there is no new info to be had on that post you found addressing a similar question from 2009. What an awsome site this would be, then we can sit here and wait for weeks on end for a new software or controller to be anounced to finnally have a discussion about it. For those that take the time out of their extremely busy day to read a post they aren't interested in just to post "please use the search button" I will kindly ask that you to "please use your scroll wheel".

Example of helpful/unhelpful
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29951

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Pretty much how I started out
    Yep, me too. But I don't mind sharing my knowledge about it, otherwise I wouldn't be such a regular member of this forum. That's what's so great about it, that people can come here with any kind of question and get help.

Meh, you're entitled to your opinion. The 'I'm not helping you because I never had any help when I was starting out' line doesn't sit well with me. Then again, it looks like this morning you did the exact same thing you seem to be railing against, so I'm a bit confused.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31074
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The best method to teach someone is to explain, demonstrate, guide and enable. I don't mind helping people out once or twice, but I'll almost always point them in the direction of finding the answer themselves. If after I've enabled them a couple of times they're still asking questions then I'll just tell them straight up they need to figure it out themselves. That's been rare though, especially on here.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

If there are people willing to answer, there's no problem with it. If you don't like it, don't post. As padi said, over moderated forums are no fun. This one is awesome and has a good atmosphere, and I'd rather people felt welcome here than there were hyper strict posting rules.
    Straight up. If you don't want to answer don't. People like me come here specifically for the atmosphere and the amount of knowledge. THE LAST THING this forum needs is trolls.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MC-LEAN View Post
    THE LAST THING this forum needs is trolls.
    No, I'm sure there's worst things than trolls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast