It is ok to learn Logic and Ableton at the same time?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default It is ok to learn Logic and Ableton at the same time?

Ok so I've been a tutorial junkie lately, and learning a great deal. But the tutorials are about 50/50 Ableton and Logic. Both are awesome DAWs and I wanna use both in the future....but should I master one before the other, or is it advisable/possible to learn both effectively at the same time? Thanks guys!

Tech Guru

what tutorials are you using for ableton , I tried learning flstudio and traktor at the same time but that wasnt too hard
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

Well personally I think its better to put everything into learning one DAW, I started with Pro Tools almost 4 years ago now and i've not looked back since, I know it inside out!

But with the two DAW's you're looking at they're completely different in my eyes, Logic is the best overall DAW out there for many people, perfect for production and recording, where'as Ableton is less of a recording product (in my eyes) and more useful for production and DJ'ing live.

It all depends what you want it for really?
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Tech Wizard

@slpower, mostly SonicAcademy. i love em.

@towifer, i hear ya man, im mainly into production and but I use Traktor for DJing....I can see Ableton in my future for DJing tho Regardless, yes Logic is amazing, but Ableton fanboys are allover the place lol.

Maybe what I need to do is really master a VST or two instead? Or is that going to confuse things even more? :\

Tech Guru

are they pricey there?? cause im kinda keen to get into ableton
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

I think if you're already using Traktor for DJ'ing you should focus all your production energy on Logic, its a fantastic program with all the plugins you get already the ES2 is fantastic for example!
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

If nothing else you might just discover which suits your style best. Like towifer I stuck with one (Ableton) and know it pretty much inside out, love it to bits and find it so quick and easy to get ideas going - an essential quality for how I work.

Some people prefer Logic it's true, but likewise ABleton has its devotees too. I've never once found myself wishing I used any other DAW, its just preference really, so stick with it and see which one naturally takes up more of your imagination maybe?

Tech Mentor

They're both around £400, thats for Logic Studio and Ableton Suite 8.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bang the DJ View Post
    If nothing else you might just discover which suits your style best. Like towifer I stuck with one (Ableton) and know it pretty much inside out, love it to bits and find it so quick and easy to get ideas going - an essential quality for how I work.

Some people prefer Logic it's true, but likewise ABleton has its devotees too. I've never once found myself wishing I used any other DAW, its just preference really, so stick with it and see which one naturally takes up more of your imagination maybe?
    thats a great call. i hear that Ableton is easier to get your ideas down quickly blah blah--I know Ableton somewhat, and Logic too, I just don't know what fork to take.

@slpower, its like 60 bucks a yr for all their streaming tutorials. their music theory ones are spot on!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by towifer View Post
    I think if you're already using Traktor for DJ'ing you should focus all your production energy on Logic, its a fantastic program with all the plugins you get already the ES2 is fantastic for example!
    that makes sense, good call! ES2 is dope for sure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast