Puff Sez DJs Aren't DJs Anymore
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Puff Sez DJs Aren't DJs Anymore

Not that too many people take him seriously overall but he has been in the game a long time and has veteran perspective.

He tells MTV.com, “People have figured out the formula when they make records for radio, and DJs ain’t DJs no more. DJs don’t break records no more. DJs don’t play album cuts. DJs play what is going to move the crowd. DJs, they don’t expose you to the newness. That was the DJs’ thing. Hip-hop is in a recession also.”
    Source

Thoughts?

Hip Hop is in a recession being that he ran out of cuts that he can sample. Puff go make another billion selling vodka or making a (whack) band. Puff is not a veteran! Now if it was DR Dre was to say the same thing I would believe it. Puff is just not making club bangers being that Kayne West is what is in, and Puff cant sample that.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

When did DJs stop playing album cuts? Outside of scene spots, you're lucky if you hear anything but.
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr
    download my latest dj mix: mthrfckrz mix

Maybe Puff must to make some good tunes to keep DJs playing his music.
    Keep on jumpin'
    http://dj3du.com

Maybe he should stay off the Puff.

Tech Guru

unless i misinterpreted the article, it sounds that his beef is more with hiphop producers than DJs ? no?

he's right though... new and interesting hiphop sounds are few and far between these days... it's not like the 80s and 90s where there was just soooo much good hiphop. Honestly most hiphop I play in my dj sets is from the golden era rather than the latest hiphop tune because 90% of the new stuff suuucckksss....

there's a few new cats doing good things in hiphop though, to name a few of my favourites

Cool Kids

Kidz in the Hall

K'Naan

To be honest, when he was still rising, he already was amongst the group he was talking smack about. Hell, he still is....

I am really missing oldskool beats like 3rd Bass, PE and all the other oldskool pioneers.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

he's right, unfortunately. Most DJ's play the same tracklists with the same hits. Everybody seems to be looking at eachother and to beatport or juno and checking the charts and stuff. Of course with playing album tracks and breaking tracks there are 2 issues: there have to be quality albums released, and you have to have a regular gig/crowd to break a track. These days it's often 2 hour DJ gigs and the audience expecting the same old hit-records over and over, something they know. It's time for residencies to come back, just the same DJ doing the entire evening, every week or whatever, building up a crowd and scene, digging into unknown stuff and albums, and creating their own unique sound, where they can actually break a record by playing it over and over till people fall in love with it.

Olaf

Tech Wizard

DJs don’t break records no more. DJs don’t play album cuts. DJs play what is going to move the crowd.
    I have been saying this for years. The original job of the DJ was to break or promote new music to the masses, period. Look at the early days of rock n roll or even rap it was brought to the public by someone who was not afraid to be different and play a new record repeatedly till the public got it.

Flash forward to today and ask them if they have the new so and so record. Yep, they have it but they don't play it, cause the first time they did, it cleared the floor (4-5 months ago). As soon as radio is playing it and cute girls are asking for it, then it's safe to play it.

When I go out, I want to hear new music, cause I could have easily stayed home and listened to the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Puff is not a veteran!
    Sorry to say but Puff is a veteran. He's been in the game a lot longer then people give him credit for. Before he started BadBoy he was the VP of A&R at Uptown Records, he was the youngest executive in the industry at the time ('89).
    He was also responsible for putting life back into RnB music by reshaping Jodeci's image and sound. He also signed and helped to produced Mary J Bliges first album. The remix of Real Love featured the late great Biggie.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

But isn't it a hard balance to have right now with club owners? I know DJs that, if the dance floor wanes by 40 people, even if 150 are still dancing, get yelled at by the owners and need to "step it up" or whatever. And now, compared to 20 years, there are SO many more DJs willing to spin for less money (cause mp3s are free, right?) and with no ethics of breaking new tracks that you have to protect your turf somehow.

That's how I see it to an extent. Granted, I blame everyone (the labels, the radio, the fans, the DJs, the clubs/bars) for the current state of the entertainment industry.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast