Custom Mixer + 2 VTT 101s

Default Custom Mixer + 2 VTT 101s

I am going to make a custom mixer with a livid brain- and dont try and stop me project has started- that is kind of like this:

And It is going to end up looking like this:

I wanted to put that in between these:

Dont ask about what the mixer is planned to map for, but I can tell you there are two important mappings I have been thinking about.

Since the VTT 101 has a crossfader I thought it would be perfect for a 4 deck mapping since my mixer has a fader too.
    Or a 2 deck mapping and I could use the fader for a super fader or something.

I am not asking for advice on what to do.
    I want advice on small things that I could add to the mapping and stuff.
    And if you think it would be a somewhat good setup.

tricky to day without knowing more about the layout - but seems rather odd to put a column of arcade buttons at each side?

i like the combination of faders + grid controller - but i would go for at least a midifighter style 4x4 grid of arcade buttons for each deck.

seems you have 4x2 grids of arcade buttons broken up with 'square buttons'? that doesnt make sense to me but i could just be reading your plan wrong and dont know what they will be.

i would have the arcade buttons grouped together more anyway personally...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

If you're going to make a fancy custom mixer I wouldn't bother with the shitty jog wheel controllers. To be honest I don't see why you would want jog wheels at all. Just add some buttons to pitch bend and beat jump to navigate the track and nudge beats into sync.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    If you're going to make a fancy custom mixer I wouldn't bother with the shitty jog wheel controllers. To be honest I don't see why you would want jog wheels at all. Just add some buttons to pitch bend and beat jump to navigate the track and nudge beats into sync.
    just different way of thinking i guess.... personally i'd really want jog wheels on any controller setup but i know many people can't see the need.

i just find it a natural way of scanning through a track and nudging it into sync etc. also they would be useful for effects too ofc... and if touch sensitive maybe basic scratching?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I really would use encoders or something instead, those controllers are not great.

You really will not be able to scratch with those at all.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

i was gonna use encoders and cut out jog wheels from acrylic- however it was too complicated to get one of those to work with a livid brain. Then i saw these. I am probably going to modify them and put them in a more heavy duty box or something. Maybe giving them a better rotary encoder. And the layout is top secret until I finish. The buttons are all grouped together based on different objectives the groups have. Some are to achieve effect chains, loops, and a lot are for cue points. And I do need the "crappy discs" because All i wanted was a play button, a cue button, and the wheel. This was the cheapest I could find and I tried one out at guitar center already- and it feels pretty good for a cheap controller.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Pabloco View Post
    i was gonna use encoders and cut out jog wheels from acrylic- however it was too complicated to get one of those to work with a livid brain. Then i saw these. I am probably going to modify them and put them in a more heavy duty box or something. Maybe giving them a better rotary encoder. And the layout is top secret until I finish. The buttons are all grouped together based on different objectives the groups have. Some are to achieve effect chains, loops, and a lot are for cue points. And I do need the "crappy discs" because All i wanted was a play button, a cue button, and the wheel. This was the cheapest I could find and I tried one out at guitar center already- and it feels pretty good for a cheap controller.
    Yeah don't worry about people telling you not to use jog wheels. Everybody has their own preference. I have seen those DJTech jobs and they're actually not THAT bad... I mean, honestly, most jog wheels feel cheap and brittle, but those have a decent weight to them. A new enclosure would help a lot. Especially if you combine everything into one and hide the USB hub underneath. That's kinda what I'm doing with mine right now.