Help, I have an "open format" event I'm playing at tonight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help, I have an "open format" event I'm playing at tonight

And I haven't dj'd out in over 10 years (not that I did it very much before, but I digress). It's at a bar here in the ass end of nowhere Oklahoma. The crowd is going to be a mix of young to old...I will have to play some country :eek: and top 40 and rap and rnb. I will be expected to get on the mic (again :eek: ) I've been given the green light to play 1 hour of what I want so I'm gonna play drum and bass more than likely. I only have to play for 5 hours, but I'd like some advice on what to do when I need to use the restroom, when I need something to drink, how to make sure I get paid (the owner is slightly shady, but I'd definitely like to play out so whatever) advice on soundcheck and what I need to do to make sure everything is in order (I plan on going pretty early an playing some Dubstep that's really bass heavy to check my levels, is this a bad Idea, I don't really know...) and anything else I should know.

Thanks in advance
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

basically, in my limited experience, bring a friend to have in the booth, to take requests for you, get you a drink, and when you need to pee just whack on a long tune and run like a motherfucker. it'd help if your friend knew how to mix, and if it came to it you could have the next tune lined up for him to mix into!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

a 10-15 minute mix of something is great for bathroom breaks. Drum and Bass probably isn't going to go over to well, but maybe towards the end it'll fly.

Where in Oklahoma?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Pete - Unfortunately the booth is suspended above the dancefloor, I have to be able to navigate a precarious catwalk to get down, I might bring my wife up there with me to play sync bot for my restroom breaks...

Photo - yeah I think I'm going to cook up some simple extended mixes of some different styles in traktor to use for emergency restroom breaks I know Drum and Bass wont go over well, but I'm comfortable with it, I enjoy it, I can work alot of hip hop in with it and I have a few friends that have commited to going and dancing to the drum and bass so we will see how it goes. And I'm in western ok (elk city) also photo, what are some popular disco songs that arent entirely terrible and available on Itunes?

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.

Yikes. I wouldn't go into any extended d&b sessions check the Juno download charts for disco and hip-hop for some bang uptodate stuff, a lot of which are new and familiar at the same time.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    It's at a bar here in the ass end of nowhere Oklahoma.
    And I'm in western ok (elk city)
    Shit, you weren't lying!! :eek:

also photo, what are some popular disco songs that arent entirely terrible and available on Itunes?
    Check the songs in the disco, disco, disco mix in my sig. They're all disco edits ad most of them are free for DL on Soundcloud. And the Deep Disco group on Soundcloud is a goldmine for that kind of stuff!! http://soundcloud.com/groups/deep-disco

And don't forget hits of the 80's type stuff, people usually like that kind of stuff.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

as a sufferer of ibs... bathroom breaks are fairly easy providing the toilets not packed... I have a couple different 15 min mixes with different cue points all over for mix in and out points just gotto make sure its not stuff that you would play everyday or likely to be requested, but still stuff that will keep the floor moving, its when i like to drop some underground stuff
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Photo - There was some excellent stuff in there, I snapped up a few of them....And I'm probably in the running for DJTT member that is the furthest away from any sort of civilization

put a bedrock track on. then you will even have have time for a shit if you want and probably a cigarette
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast