Traktor + VCI-100: "Thats.... cute."

Default Traktor + VCI-100: "Thats.... cute."

A NYC-based friend was listening to my new mix (see signature) yesterday and saying I need to get some "real gear" so I can take my "good ear" to the next level. Having been confined for years to just my Traktor software and a mouse, I agreed and sent him a link to the VCI-100, which I just ordered a few days ago.

He looked at it and said, "Huh. That's.... cute."

My friend went on to say that he's never heard of a DJ actually using Traktor, that I need to get Serato and a Rane mixer, and that I need to get turntables; no two ways about it, that's the way you're supposed DJ.

So, obviously some dick remarks on my friend's part, but as someone who's eager to make the jump from the bedroom to the club, I started worrying a little bit. I know loads of people here at DJTT use Traktor and the VCI-100 in their performances, but is there a lot of resistance out there? I've never played around with a Rane or Serato or turntables. Of course I'd love to master every technique and every piece of gear but there's a limit to funds, you know?

So, I was just wondering what people's thoughts and experiences were on this.
    andy khouri [human name]
    killkillkill [dj name]
    myspace
    flickr
    download my latest dj mix: mthrfckrz mix

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think that right now it's a struggle for anyone to show up with a laptop and not use time code in a lot of cities. The thing is that it is getting more prevalent. Let your work speak for itself. I've had this conversation before about Serato and all. People (and by people I mean DJs) are, in general, closed minded douchebags who think that the only way to do it is how they were told by some guy that is "the best DJ ever" and they take their word as gospel.

That guy says "You have a good ear, now use realy gear" I want to know what difference the gear makes if the mix is smooth.

Sorry, I hate assholes like that.

As a side note, this is not me saying that Traktor and a VCI-100 is better than Serato and turntables. My point is: who gives a shit as long as the end result is good? Yeah, I want to see the DJ doing SOMETHING and not just a) playing two songs back to back with no care for the energy of the dance floor or b) letting software automix his tunes or providing a premix'd CD and nothing else.

You might hit snags with promoters and other DJs, but that's gonna be the case for a while for all of us.

Don't get too down about the attitude. Keep making mixes, giving em out, getting a small buzz going and no one's gonna care what you spin on.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I think theres some resistance against the people who dont know the potential of what we are doing - its really an education thing, these people need to be educted in what it is we are doing, why it is a perfectly acceptable artform and why its nothing to cough at.

Some people seem to meet more resistance than others i have found.

I've heard this argument many times... "Real gear"... sheesh... Tell him it's all relative... In fact, tell him that there is a generation out there who used to rock parties with this:

Keep it real.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

My favorite is when a CD DJ tells me I'm not really DJing cause I'm using a laptop. When I reply with "Well, I'll bring my turntables out and we'll drop some needles" they kinda shy away.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

When a friend of mine -who's using Traktor now- ask me what he has to do to be better DJ, I said "Forget the mouse, get some controllers, be creative". The freedom in digital realms is unbeatable.

This thread reminds me the "Turntables DJs vs CD DJs" polemic, some years ago.
    Keep on jumpin'
    http://dj3du.com

Tech Guru

make them believers. invite them to your shows. show them your demos.

I've converted many nay-sayers into believers by showing them what Traktor is capable of. Not every one is as tech saavy or has their finger on the pulse of technology, so you can't expect everyone to know that laptop DJing is just as capable (even more so in my opinion) as it's analogue alternatives.

Please tell your friend that he should wake up, it ain't 19-flintstone no more and that the 80-ies called, they wanted their disco-turntables and bellbottoms back.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --