how to guiter fx pedals with a vci-100?
    Tech Wizard

Default how to guiter fx pedals with a vci-100?

hi everybody,

does anyone know how to connect a guitar effect pedal into a dj system? i have some of those lying around anyway, so why not use them. i only have a vci-100, no "real" standalone mixer (planned for some distant future where i am rich). where do they go ideally? between soundcard and hifi/PA-amp (i.e. post-DAC, pre-amped signal)? wanted to ask here first before blowing stuff up...

does sound quality diminish with so many extra wiring in the signal chain?

can they be chained? like an overdrive into a reverb into a delay for real sound distruction fun?
    that would rock!

cheers, groats

I'd imagine that it would have to be put somewhere in between the VCI and the soundcard, though I don't know I haven't fucked with guitar effects since the late 90s...nowadays the kids all have rackmounts and 5 million effect chains going...whatever happened to the days of a big tube amp turned the fuck up with a bit of reverb...bah
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

it'll go after the soundcard not before, as the signal goes from the computer into the soundcard

Ideally you'd be using an external mixer with FX send return, since you could then affect each channel independently.

Another thing, do guitar pedals support stereo signals? Unless I'm much mistaken Guitar outputs are mono, and I doubt both sides of a stereo signal would pass through a pedal.

If it does work, then you'll want it to go between your sound card and your amp/speakers.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

ah, stereo, completely forgot about that. in this case it's either a mixer or gtfo.

if i find any other solution i'll let you know

thanks anyway