Mixing on a budget- Is one X1 or LPD8 enough?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Mixing on a budget- Is one X1 or LPD8 enough?

Hi guys

New to the forum.

Long story short I've had to sell my VCI - 100 and soundcard (no option unfortunately ). So all Im currently left with just my laptop with Traktor. I don't perform anywhere so I don't need a major set up, but I can't function purely with just the laptop.

So with a bit of creative mapping, would I be able to use a single Kontrol X1 or LPD8 and get by? I don't scratch at all.

The other option I had thought of was to get a cheap midi keyboard (one with a few knobs) and try to map that?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated guys as this is a really shitty situation to be in!

Tech Mentor

Got an LPD8, and it sure is enough as a standalone. Not very enjoyable of course, but still.

8 knobs = 2*3 equalizer (or filter, and have 2*2 spares) and 2*1 volume
    8 buttons = 2*play, 2*sync, 4 FX superbuttons, and when you switch to CC-mode you can map those 8 buttons to cue points.

On top of that, the LPD8 has 4 different layers, so you can map a whole lot to it, but switching between those layers isn't thàt quick. The CC-change is though

Don't have an X1, but I suppose it'll do the job just fine too, probably better because it's got more buttons (but less knobs iirc?). The LPD8 is a whole lot cheaper though!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Student

Thanks for the reply.

I've just noticed the Novation Nocturn. Has anyone used one of these with Traktor?

The physical crossfader on it appeals to me. And it's just about in budget!

there are alot cheaper controllers that the x1 with more knobs and buttons

Xone 1D or evolution uc-33 for example

Tech Wizard

with traktor all you need is the shift key and know how to map

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If it were me I would go X or maybe a midi fighter.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i use 1 x1 all the time at home. so yes, you can use just x1 one to mix with in a pinch
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

as an only controller i guess the only thing the nocturn has going for it is the cross fader which is the main thing you'd be missing with an lpd8 ofc...

did you see the thread on the new gemini firstmix? it does look rather childish but might be worth considering one if you want touch sensitive jog wheels and a few pots. the buttons don't look very good - but i think i'll pick one up. the price seems to be only 80usd?

i first picked up a 2nd hand hercules mk2 which for what you get for the money i think is very good. not in the same league as the x1 or even lpd8 tho...

edit: just realised you don't scratch so i guess jogs arent too important (tho i still love jog wheels and don't scratch)... so mostly depends on how important a cross fader is i guess?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    i use 1 x1 all the time at home. so yes, you can use just x1 one to mix with in a pinch
    Had to do that recently as well. Worked quite well. Nice solution when you don't wanna be packing heaps of gear for a small gig (actually considering getting an A2DJ, just so I don't have to rewire the A8DJ back at home in those cases).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by Spookd View Post
    I've just noticed the Novation Nocturn. Has anyone used one of these with Traktor?

The physical crossfader on it appeals to me. And it's just about in budget!
    Seriously, what do you need a crossfader for? Apart from that, to me endless encoders are not on par with normal rotaries for EQ/volume duty.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast